45.

"How did you think of that?" James said, clapping both his hands across our backs. "Merlin, I love you both. I love you both, so much. Do you even know how much I love the two of you?" He said, emotionally.

The music behind us was blasting and the common room was full of people, yet all of the marauders were standing and facing a painting. Well, what everyone thought was a painting. Behind it lay a banner that said, Happy Birthday Lily Potter - yet no one needed to know that. Sirius and I had managed to knick a painting off the second floor, one that people rarely noticed anyway and one that was large enough to cover the banner and we placed it on top.

"Well, you thought of how you could take it down - we thought about how we could hide it." Sirius said, a small smile on his face.

"Story of your lives." Remus said, nudging me with his shoulder making me throw my head back and laugh loudly.

"Very accurate," I said grinning. "But, hey - where is the birthday girl? Isn't she supposed to be here by now?" I asked scanning the room for the red-head.

The door slammed open as if it was just waiting for me to say that and Marlene rushed in, "Everyone! Hide!" She said, gleefully. "She's coming!"

I rolled my eyes at Marlene, the feeling of intense betrayal returning as my eyes lay upon her. "Sorry but no, I don't conform to society's needs or wants." I said, glaring at her blatantly. She turned to me, her excitement leaving her face and an expression of annoyance graced her features. The tension between both of us was almost, palpable.

Sirius laughed, placing his hand across my shoulder. "My girlfriend, in a nutshell." he said, making everyone laugh.

The lights flickered off and everyone hid, except for me. Until Sirius pulled me into the shadows and wrapped his arms around my waist. Then, I was okay with it.

Lily Evans walked in, "What?" She asked nobody. "Who turned off the lights?" She said, moving towards the light switch.

But before she could do that, the lights suddenly turned on and everyone said simultaneously, "Happy Birthday Lily!" The loudest voice was of course, the one that belonged to James Potter who was also holding the pink cake.

Lily Evans stood still, staring dumbfounded at everyone. Her face then turned red and her hand went up to her mouth, her eyes wide and filled with a certain emotion I couldn't pinpoint. She stared at everyone and her gaze lay upon James Potter, who looked increasingly uncomfortable at the silence that filled the room.

"Are - are you alright, Lily?" James asked, uncertainly.

"Oh shite, maybe she doesn't like surprises." Sirius whispered to my ear, making me nod. We both couldn't take our eyes off of her.

A sound emitted from her, a sob maybe. Sirius and I exchanged looks of unease, but the sobs turned louder, before her face broke out into a smile and she began to laugh, loudly. Lily Evans wasn't laughing, she was howling with laughter. Lily was now smiling brightly and happily, something she didn't do much with James.

"Oh my - Merlin, is this - this is all for me?" Lily asked James looking, touched. "Why?"

James let the cake float in the air with a simple flick of his wand, "Because, it's your birthday." He said simply before running a hand through his hair making it even more messy than it already was.

She laughed, "Thank you, really." She said, earnestly and then proceeded to hug him.

Everyone gasped at the sight that lay in front of us. The two people who have been fighting non-stop for five years were now, hugging? It wasn't a sight you saw every day, actually this was a once in a lifetime event. I was sure James felt that way as well because he looked like he had gone to heaven but he tried not to let that show.

"Hmm, I now see why everyone thinks they look good together." Sirius said to Remus and Peter as they made their way towards us.

"I think she would be the man in the relationship." Peter said, laughing.

I scoffed, "Why? Because a woman who has her own opinions or is strong with her beliefs is seen as a tough and strong woman and because dominance is characterized as a male trait so, you label her as the man in the relationship for her because she exudes strength which women can not have? Stop enforcing gender roles and just be happy for James, wormtail!" I said, narrowing my eyes at him.

Peter's eyes widened, "I'm so sorry."

Sirius grinned, "I'm so glad you're my girlfriend." he said resting his jaw on my head. I smiled happily.

"James and Lily," Remus said, "Who would've thought?" he said, beaming at them even though they were too distracted with each other to notice.