30.

I tapped my quill against the desk, my eyes were focusing solely on the board but I had no idea what was going on. I glanced around the room and noticed that I wasn't the only person who felt that way. History of Magic was probably the most boring subject I had ever encountered in my entire life, not only was the subject dull. The professor that taught it could put the class to sleep in a matter of minutes.

But there was something else occupying my brain - something that was stopping me from paying attention to what was happening around me. It was what Kenneth had revealed to me. I had been having an internal conflict for days. My mind was too busy focusing on what Kenneth had told me and wondering whether to tell the boys or to keep it to myself, to the point where I had forgotten to do three assignments. I had replayed the conversation with Kenneth in my head for days and -

"Josie could you stop doing that for Merlin's sake!" James said, jabbing me with his arm.

I stopped the tapping and looked at him, "Sorry. Hey James. Imagine this, you have information which you aren't sure is true or not. But you think it's true. Kind of. Should you reveal it to your mother?" I realised a moment later that what I had just said made absolutely no sense at all, whatsoever.

James looked at me weirdly, "What? My mother? Josie what are you talking about?" he said, doodling on a piece of parchment.

I scratched my cheek, awkwardly. Okay, that wasn't the best analogy I could've used but I wasn't sure how to ask him for advice without revealing to him what I knew.

"Okay, what if you knew something that could change everything? But you're not sure if you should tell someone. Like your mother for example." I said, hoping and praying that he wouldn't become suspicious.

James tapped his quill against his chin, to show that he was thinking. "Hmm, I guess it depends really. You have to really think. Will your mother freak out or not? Will this information hurt her in any way? If not, tell her. If it will. Tell her anyway. Mums hate secrets." He said, nodding sombrely and then went back to doing nothing.

I could have laughed. That conversation had achieved absolutely nothing and that was probably due to the fact that James was literally the worst person to ask for advice on anything. He had his wise moments, but usually he was just as confused about life as I was. I assumed that was one of the reasons why we were best friends.

James glanced at me, briefly before asking. "Why are you asking by the way?"

I racked my brain trying to come up with an answer and quick. "I think Greg is going to quit Quidditch." I blurted out.

James gasped, his eyes wide. "No! No! No, tell me that's not true!" He said, grabbing my shoulders and shaking me. "You better be lying Josie Erhard Longbottom!"

Professor Binns was not impressed, "Mr. Potter kindly release Miss. Longbottom so we can get back to the subject. Don't you think learning about Gerald The Grump is more important than your romantic involvement?" He said, floating near us.

I almost choked, "We're not - we're not romantically involved Professor!" I said, loudly making everyone turn around and actually pay attention for once. I turned a bit red and avoided their gaze.

Professor Binns looked appalled, if that was even possible for a ghost. "Miss. Longbottom. How dare you raise your voice at me? Do you think this is some sort of loud party classroom? 10 points from Gryffindor for ill-behaviour!"

James laughed, "Whats a loud party classroom? I want to join." He said, making everyone laugh. James embraced the spotlight, grinning as he saw the smiles on everyones faces.

Professor Binns turned a bright shade of red, "Mr. Potter! How does detention sound to you?" he said, crossing his arms.

James shrugged nonchalantly, "Come on, Professor. At least buy me dinner first." He said, causing an eruption of laughter in the usually dead classroom.

I chuckled, hiding my face but that didn't stop Professor Binns from being angry, "Do you two think this is funny? You are wasting valuable learning time. I'm sure you'll find it very funny when you're scrubbing the bathroom floor with your toothbrushes!" He said, irritated.

I gaped at him, "What that's not fair! I didn't say anything, why am I involved?" I said, glaring at Binns.

James laughed, slipping an arm around my shoulder. "Now, darling. You know what he said. We're in this together baby." he said, making people laugh once more. That arse. He wanted me to be there.

Professor Binns shook his head, "Teenagers. I'll see you two at detention tonight after dinner, Now back to more important topics. Gerald The Grump.." Professor Binns said and began to say something about Gerald The Grump, whoever that was.

Once class was over I grabbed my textbook and began to hit James repeatedly, "You arse, why'd you make me go to detention with you? I need to pack, you know that the holidays are in less than a week!"

James grabbed the textbook before I could hit him again, "Yeah, well so do I! You know what they say. If I'm going down you are going down with me. Besides, detention alone is boring. Sirius isn't there anymore, apparently he's been good lately. Yeah right. So I need you there!"

I threw my hands up, in frustration. "So I have to go with you? Did you forget about Remus or Peter? Also now thanks to you people will assume that we are together! Again! This is fourth year all over again." I said, frowning.

James looked at me sheepishly, "Sorry about that but hey! If you look on the bright side, people are starting to tolerate you again. If they think we're together then you'll be back on everyones love list one more time!" He said optimistically.

I rolled my eyes at his optimism but couldn't help a smile, "Yeah yeah, okay. You better not ditch me at detention, Potter." I grinned.

He scowled, "Quiet Longbottom." he said before he waved goodbye as he headed towards the other direction.