22.

"Marlene, if you touch my hair again I'm going to slice your hand off!" I said and touched my now- straightened hair, wincing. Marlene had decided that it would be 'fun' if I dressed up a little bit. I agreed, because why not? But after getting your hair pulled in every direction the fun part didn't look so fun anymore.

She bit her lip to stop herself from laughing, "I'm sorry but you look so pretty now! Do you want me to put some makeup on you?" Marlene said, looking proud.

I shrugged, "No, it's okay. I do have to congratulate you for taming my hair, though. Not many can accomplish such a thing - including my mother." I said and looked in the mirror, my hair was perfectly straight and despite how neat it looked I really missed my signature wavy hair. But I wasn't going to wash my hair now - not after the torture I had just experienced.

Marlene gave a little curtsy, "Thank you, thank you. It was a challenge. But, enough of that. Let's go down! I could really use a butterbeer or two." Marlene said and pulled me out of the room.

When we got down the stairs the first thing we noticed was how incredibly full the common room was. There were even students from the other houses - even a couple of Slytherins. I could vaguely see the boys laughing with a group of people.

"Wow, who are these people?" Marlene asked, raising her brow at a group of third years who were drinking firewhiskey.

I shrugged, "Who knows? I'm going to go and sit with the boys - do you wanna come?" I asked.

She shook her head, smiling "No, but thanks. I'm going to go find Lily and Mary but I'll catch up with you later." She grinned and then disappeared into the crowd.

I made my way to the group of boys who sat at the couch surrounded by many people, apparently James was telling an interesting story because everyone was hanging on to his every word it reminded me of when you I was a child and my mum would tell a story.

"Then, Peter and I found a chocolate frog on the floor and then Peter decided to take a bite- except it wasn't a chocolate frog! It was someone's frog covered in mud!" James said, making the whole crowd burst into laughter- including me.

Frank winced, "Poor sod, is he here tonight?" He asked, looking around the room to see if he was there.

James pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose, "Nah, he's in the infirmary now - sent him a couple of chocolate frogs to make him feel better, but I don't think he'll be eating those." He laughed and then his hazel eyes caught mine, "Hey, it's the birthday girl! Josie come here!" he said, sounding a bit tipsy.

Everyone turned around and cheered and I laughed awkwardly and moved towards him, "Hey everybody," I said once I reached him. James grabbed two glasses from somewhere and then proceeded to pour a drink and then offer me one. I smiled and took the two glasses from him, "Oh no, I think you've had enough to drink. Excuse me," I said taking the drinks and walking away, shoving past a bunch of people.

Drunk James was my least favourite James. Why? Because his intoxication had stages. At first, he was loud, annoying and way too boisterous. Then, he became emotional and would spill his guts to anyone who listened. Which was hilarious but extremely humiliating when he woke up the next day wondering how everyone knew about his favourite duck boxers. Then, when he got way too drunk. He got reckless. It was like he wanted to build a spaceship and discover a new planet while simultaneously wanting to jump off a cliff. It wouldn't bother me if I was drunk but unlike my friends I hated alcohol, meaning that I was the person in charge of making sure no one would embarrass themselves.