Chapter eleven: I quit

Chapter eleven: I quit (Faith's POV)

"Finally," I sighed to myself while putting my makeup away and stepping out of my bathroom. I threw on some golden sparkly pumps and took one last look in the mirror before heading downstairs. "Okay, how can I help?" I sighed while glancing at my mom who was not ready whatsoever. "Mom, dinner starts in fifteen," I gave her a pointed look. 

"Just take the food out of the oven and give it to your dad, thank god I taught him how to cook," she huffed before running into her room. I glanced to see there were two minutes left for the food so I lounged around the kitchen till the timer went off. I grabbed the mittens and pulled out the tray of food. 

She was freaking out so much over chicken? 

"Dad, kitchen please!" I yelled out. He came out, dressed and cleaned up and took over. My mom came out about ten minutes later. "New record, huh?" I teased. She smacked my shoulder with the mitten. 

"Ow, that is hot!" I rubbed my shoulder as the doorbell rang. "Mom, you should get it, go on," I pushed her to the door before going back into the kitchen. 

"You are a pain in the ass sometimes, kiddo," my dad laughed along with me. 

"Richard! Faith!" my mom's voice flowed through the air. 

"Ready?" My dad raised his eyebrows at me.

"Lead the way," I gestured. I followed him out into the foyer where we greeted the Ryders. "Hi," I shook Mr. Ryder's hand. 

"Hello," he replied. 

"Hi," I turned to his mom but she just pulled me into a hug, 

"Oh, you look stunning," she gushed at me. 

I've only met her like thrice before. 

"Thank you?" I chuckled. She turned to my mom and they got busy in conversation. "Hi," I smiled at Alex. 

"Hey," he looked me up and down. "So, you found the dress," he arched an eyebrow at me. 

"Yeah, I did." I dusted the dress off a little, not really knowing what to do.

"You look beautiful," he smiled genuinely. 

"You didn't say that last time I wore it," I teased. 

"I didn't get the chance to," he replied. 

"Well, you don't look too bad yourself," I checked him out. "Dinner?" I snapped myself out of it and broke eye contact. 

"Yeah," he nodded with a little chuckle. I led the way to the kitchen and I sat beside my dad with Mrs. Ryder on my other side and Alex opposite to me. 

"So, how's school been going?" Mr. Ryder asked. 

What is it with parents always asking about school? 

He was looking at me so I'm guessing he's asking me. 

"Oh, um- it's going good, we have a lot of games coming up so a lot of organizing," I answered awkwardly. 

"Is he of any use?" he asked me while glancing at Alex. 

"Yeah," I looked at Alex, "He really helps me out a lot," I said that while looking at Alex and I wasn't just referring to games and I'm pretty sure he got that. 

"What about you, Alex?" my mom snapped us out of it. "How's everything going with you?" she asked him. 

"Everything's fine, just waiting for swimming and lacrosse to start and uh- then it's all gonna get a little more stressful but, I'm used to it," he shrugged it off.