Chapter sixteen: Knocked breathless

Chapter sixteen: Knocked breathless (Alex's POV)

I woke up to Faith still sleeping beside me, her head resting in the crook of my neck. 

What the hell happened? 

I turned to my nightstand and checked the time on my phone. It's five pm. We slept for a while. I looked at the painkillers and regretted taking so many in a short amount of time. Aren't you supposed to wait a bunch of hours? Yeah, I impulsively took three when they weren't kicking in. 

I groaned mentally while running my hands over my face. "Mm," she shuffled while hugging me in her sleep. I stiffened and froze because this is exactly what I've been trying to avoid. 

Here's the deal, I've slept around, had hook-ups, one night stands, but I have never had a real girlfriend and I have never had real, genuine feelings for someone. And I'm scared that she'll be the first. The problem with that, is we're not supposed to catch feelings for each other. 

We're only doing this for a limited period of time and it's only till we're satisfied with the outcome but now I'm afraid that we're losing sight of our motive and we're getting side-tracked. 

Maybe that's the fear of falling in love talking. 

"Oh no," she mumbled, her lips brushing against my neck, giving me chills. I shuffled and pulled myself away, stretching in my spot. 

"Morning," I sighed. 

"Whoa, we knocked out for a while," she rubbed her eyes while pouting. "M-maybe I should go home," she stood up and got out of bed while retying her hair. 

"Faith, I didn't know you were such a cuddler, a warning would have been nice," I smirked teasingly. 

"I did not cuddle you," she scoffed while slipping her slides on. 

"Really?" I deadpanned while giving her a pointed look. 

"Yes, really," she gave me the same look in return. 

"Well then, why don't you stay the night? Try it again," I smirked while lying on my stomach, careful of the bruise. 

"For the record, you're the one that pulled me into you. I was happily lying there until you pulled me close," she turned to me.

"I-I did?" I questioned while trying to remember but my memory was swiped. 

"Mm-hmm, you did." She looked at while biting back a smile and nodded. 

"Faith, can I ask you something?" I lied on my back, my head beside her legs. 

"Sure," she replied. 

"You don't have genuine, real feelings for me, do you?" I asked hesitantly. 

"Not that I know of, why?" she replied while pulling at a strand of my hair. "Fuzz," she dangled it in my face before blowing it away. 

"I was just thinking isn't it, I don't know, weird that we're hanging out so often and kissing an-and holding hands but we don't have feelings for each other yet?" I questioned while grabbing her hand and placing it in my hair. 

"Yet, huh?" she chuckled while running her hand through my hair. 

"Faith," I sighed. 

"I mean yeah, I guess it's weird. You play your part well and that does make it harder but I guess I know in the back of my mind that we aren't real.

I didn't like hearing that from her. 

"We kiss, but it's just for people to see and talk, we're gonna go on dates but I'm sure we're really just gonna talk and hang out and yeah, we hold hands but-" she shrugged, "It's only for show. Plus, we already talked about what would happen if one or both of us caught feelings and we said we'd figure it out so, yeah, it's weird that we don't really like each other, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if we do eventually, or at least I do." She mumbled that last bit but I heard it.