Chapter forty-five: Priorities

Chapter forty-five: Priorities (Faith's POV)

I was making breakfast and Alex was still asleep when the doorbell rang. It's pretty early for someone to be coming over and it's way too early for Hayley or Daniel to even be awake so who the hell was it? 

I pulled Alex's hoodie down lower, covering my legs a little more since I was just in shorts and looked through the glass window beside the door. It was Amber. I unlocked the door and looked at her in confusion. 

"Hi," she said in a small voice. 

"Hi?" I questioned. "What are you doing here?" I asked without hesitation. 

"Can I please talk to you? It's kinda important," she stuttered. 

"Do you mind if we talk outside?" I asked. 

"Outside is fine," she shrugged. 

I stepped outside with her and sat on the porch steps. "Can I help you?" I asked. 

"It's Cody," she sighed. 

"Okay Amber look, just because I've dated him doesn't mean I can help you with every problem he throws your way. Whatever happens between you and him should stay between you and him. You don't have to involve me or anyone else into it," I explained with a huff. 

"Even if it's the exact same thing that you went through?" she asked. 

I looked at her in confusion. "What do you mean?" I questioned. 

"He's been following me places. Showing up at my house, blowing up my phone with calls, texts, anyway he can reach me," she explained. 

"Amber, he left town." I looked at her suspiciously. There's no way she didn't know that the whole neighborhood does. 

"No, Faith. He didn't. They were trying to leave as soon as possible but then he went and shattered school grounds. They're still packing so his parents have him locked inside their house. He's not allowed to go anywhere." 

She could be lying. 

"Why don't you tell the cops that?" I arched an eyebrow at her. 

"Because if he finds out it's me who tipped them, he'll kill me. That's what I'm here for," she sighed. "I wanted to ask if you could tell the cops he's still here, or tell you mom?" she requested. 

"My mom's not in town, sorry," I stood up. 

"B-but you are," she quickly stood up too. 

"And?" I asked. 

"You could tell them," she mumbled. 

"The cops didn't do anything the first time I went. He'll pay them off and keep doing it. And how can he follow you if he's locked in his house?" 

Her lies just weren't adding up. "He's been sneaking out and his friends tell him where I am," she replied. 

"Why don't you go stay with your brother for a while? He can't follow you out of town without the cops noticing," I resisted an eye roll. "Or his parents for that matter," I added. 

"Faith, I don't want people knowing and making a huge deal out of this. Will you please just come to the station with me?" she pleaded. 

"As far as I know, he's not in town. But if what you're saying is true and he is, then I can't risk going with you, I'm sorry." I shrugged. 

"Faith, please? He scares me a lot." 

I was about to head back inside but I froze when I heard her say that.