Chapter forty: Watching like a hawk

Chapter forty: Watching like a hawk (Alex's POV)

We were back at school and some people liked it, for example, Daniel and Hayley, while others didn't. Like Faith and me. Faith wanted to stop at her locker before we went for lunch so I went with her.

"He's been watching like a hawk all day, I'm getting sick of it," she slammed her locker shut.

"Hey," I grabbed her wrist and pulled her back. "Why didn't you tell me?" I asked while she leaned against the locker and I trapped her there.

"Why would I tell you? So you can punch him again?" she rolled her eyes. I nodded slowly while stepping back. "I didn't mean it like that. I would love for you to punch him again, but that would get you in trouble," she grabbed my shirt and pulled me closer. "I don't want that to happen because of me," she whispered while fiddling with the collar of my shirt.

"I think not having any food in your system is making you crazy," I grabbed her head and led her out to the field.

"I'm not crazy, it's true," she said while we sat down as Daniel and Hayley came out.

Holding hands. Hmm, interesting.

"Faith, it's not true. It would not be your fault, you would not get blamed, ever." I grabbed the sides of her face and stared straight into her eyes. She nodded as Daniel and Hayley came and sat down.

"Guys, listen up," Hayley huffed while sitting down. "You all know my cousin Dylan, right?" she asked.

I know him because since he graduated from here, he drops by here often. He was really good at soccer and was captain throughout his high school years, he's known for it. "Yeah," we all said and nodded in sync.

"Well, he's getting married!" she cheered. "Oh my god, when?" Faith asked.

"This weekend. So I was thinking, why don't we all go?" she shrugged. "After the game this Friday, we can leave and we'll be back by Monday morning. We'll get back to school Tuesday," she suggested. "What'd you think?" she looked at all of us.

"I'll ask my mom, I don't think she'll mind," Faith shrugged.

"I can probably come," I shrugged too.

"I'll be there," Daniel replied.

"Alright then. We can hang out tomorrow after school and buy some dresses for us and tuxes for you two," Hayley smiled. We all agreed and talked about random things for the rest of the lunch.

"I'm gonna head home, you wanna come?" Faith asked while we were at her locker.

"Why are you going home? Is it because of him?" I questioned.

"I have a free period and then study hall, I don't have to stay," she replied.

"Well um- I have practice but I'll come over after that, I have study hall too," I answered.

"Then I'll just stay for your practice and watch," she shrugged while zipping up her bag.

We walked back to the field where some people from the team were warming up and the bleachers were empty. I went and changed and then started practice.

x-X-x

I came out of the locker room after showering to see Faith just sitting there, staring off into space. It looked like she zoned out. But when I took a closer look at her face, I could see tears rolling down her cheek. I wanted to ask her what's wrong and grab her, but it felt like this was a moment where I should leave that choice up to her. So I just sat beside her.