Case 1. An Innocent Murderer: Chapter 06. Illusion

After everyone finished eating, they all walked towards the police station. Luo Tian held Luo Yang in his arms and walked at the front with Bai Chi. Zhan Zhao and Bai Yutang walked side-by-side behind them.

"Cat, what did you notice?" Bai Yutang was curious.

"Um..." Zhan Zhao thought for a moment then asked Bai Yutang, "Xiao Bai, do you think we should let Fang Wo take the polygraph, or not let him take a polygraph?"

"Didn't you said that we can't let him take the polygraph, but we can't not let him take one..." Bai Yutang looked at Zhan Zhao and said, "It's a dilemma."

Zhan Zhao nodded and smiled, "Then, for example, Fang Wo passed the polygraph, and the result of the trial is that he is not guilty...Then he will be released. At that time, if the Ripper case occurs again, what will happen?"

Bai Yutang was stunned. Then he nodded once he understood what Zhan Zhao meant, "I see. At that time, Lu Liang will be the target of public criticism, and his theory will also be made fun of!"

"Then...For example, if Fang Wo fails his polygraph and he is found guilty...Afterwards, another Ripper case occurs." Zhan Zhao continued to ask, "What will happen?"

Bai Yutang nodded, "When the time comes, the police will be the target of public criticism. We arrested the wrong person after working on the case for so long!"

"Finally." Zhan Zhao smiled, "If we let Fang Wo go first...The Ripper case is still open, and we catch Fang Wo again...But the Ripper case is still not closed...What will happen?"

Bai Yutang smiled and shook his head, "The public will think that the police and psychologists are idiots."

Zhan Zhao concluded, "No matter what we do, it will arouse public doubts about the participation of criminal psychology in criminal investigations."

Bai Yutang was suddenly shocked, "Cat, is that why there has been no open cases recently?"

Zhan Zhao smiled, "Fang Wo is just a process. Regardless of whether he is imprisoned or released, or even shot in the end...As long as the Ripper case continues, the murderer will achieve their final goal."

"That Lu Liang...He is being used as a gun." Bai Yutang frowned, "He's being used and yet he is still helping them."

"I think we should check Lu Liang's social relations and the people he often comes in contact with." Zhan Zhao said, "Also...In this world, everything happens for a reason, especially extreme things."

"So, you are saying that the purpose of the real killer is very clear, that he hates criminal psychology?" Bai Yutang said, "He looks down on the police, hates psychologists, and is familiar with medical science, or at least knows the structure of the human body..."

"There's a lot more..." Zhan Zhao suddenly said seriously, "Xiao Bai, I have actually been researching something recently."

"What is it?" Bai Yutang was curious, "There were no cases a while back, but you still looked very busy."

"I've been studying to humanize some behaviors!" Zhan Zhao said.

Bai Yutang said with admiration, "Then you should put your theory into human words. I am not that talented, and my scope of understanding is limited to humans."

"Piss off!" Zhan Zhao glared at Bai Yutang. He thought for a moment then said, "For example, a murderer kills a person, or harms a person...He will have motive for the crime, the location of the crime, the act of the crime, witnesses and so on. While the victim has social connections, reasons for being killed, and so on."

"En." Bai Yutang nodded, "That makes sense."

"The large number of serial killers, extreme felons and perpetrator that we come into contact with doesn't hate or detest just one or two people." Zhan Zhao said while walking, "They hate a group of people who have something in common. Or rather, what they hate is a type of behavior...Which their crime is based around...In our current case, the murderer is killing or harming people because of something he loath..."

"I understand now!" Bai Yutang laughed, "You are saying to think of this behavior or thing as a person. For example, the criminal this time hates criminal psychology. Which means criminal psychology is the victim. Then his social circle, characteristics, hunting places, people he might offend...Cat! Not bad!"

Zhan Zhao smiled, "Sometimes, things that are too scattered and can make people confused. But if we can combine the scattered things, we will have clues to look into!"

"In the past, we always looked for patterns from the victims, then looked for clues, before finally went on to arrest the killer." Bai Yutang understood what Zhan Zhao was saying, "What you studied was abstracting the vicitim and directly setting the possible area of where the murderer might be! This is a great way to deal with such a case which has no clues!"

Zhan Zhao reached out and patted Bai Yutang on the shoulder with satisfaction, "As expected of Captain Bai. You have amazing comprehension and analytical abilities!"

"Let's go back and list the possible areas where that murderer might be. There won't be too many people like him. We can keep an eye on them!" Bai Yutang excitedly pulled Zhan Zhao, "Let's go Cat! There's work to do!"

Bai Yutang and Zhan Zhao hurried back to the police station. That night, all the officers of SCI worked overtime, and all of them skimmed through a large number of materials. Zhan Zhao listed the following conditions for them:

1. Could have direct or indirect contact with Lu Liang, strongly agrees with his theory, and their remarks were provocative to a certain extent.

2. There was a certain degree of research in psychology. Similar articles had been published in the newspapers in the past. During the early stages, they were in support of psychology, while during the later stages, they were against it.

3. Had joined multiple psychological forums, and had often appeared in them at the beginning, but rarely in the later stages.

4, Had a chance to get close to a corpse.

5, Had some medical knowledge or some knowledge on the structure of the human body.

6, Young and strong, rarely spoke.

7. Their career was not successful, and economic condition was average. Their profession had a certain degree of freedom.

Five or more of the above conditions had to be met. After a long night of investigations, everyone identified three suspects. One was Lu Liang's student, Wang Le. He graduated and stayed in school last year. He had been Lu Liang's teaching assistant and had studied medicine. Another was Luo Xinyao, a netizen who often appeared on Lu Liang's personal forum. She was a trainee doctor and a fan of psychology, but her remarks were very radical. The last one was Zou Long, a teacher in the infirmary at Lu Liang's school. He usually got along well with Lu Liang and often had drinks together.