Awaited Arrival

You have been warned. Now, read further at your own risk :D

Momina Abdul Majeed.

After a long day at school, I unlocked the door of my house and was surprised to see my mom, already seated on the couch, munching on a piece of cake rusk and tea.

"Ah! someone is home early today." I exclaimed stepping in the living room and tossing my backpack on the couch.

"Hmm... didn't have much work today so decided to take a half-day." She replied while nodding her head. I walked into the kitchen, looking for something to eat and calm down my growling stomach, but saw a lot of grocery bags stacked on the counter. This only happens when we have some family coming over. My mom, like any other desi mom, cooks so much just for a single meal and for a small family of 5, that we can serve ourselves for the entire month, even after we are done eating. But, I wonder who is coming though.

"Who is coming this time, mom? I hope it's not dad's friend again." I inquired, cringing at the mere thought of them coming over. The last time they came, they stayed for a whole weekend, when I had exams just around the corner. I am not complaining, but the kids are so annoying, that they get on my nerves! And to make it worse, my dad throws such looks towards me, that I, being the eldest of all the kids, has to keep my calm and not lose it in front of them and make a fool out of myself.

"Don't worry girl, it's not them but your aunt..." Is it who I think it is?

"..Ayesha is coming." On hearing those words roll off her tongue, an ear to ear grin was plastered on my face, but I had to suppress my emotions and the butterflies already in my stomach just by the mention of them coming over.

"It's been a long while." I replied. Ohh.. yes it's been 6 months after all. Isn't that a long time?

"When are they coming? " I questioned her further, getting desperate already.

"Tomorrow." Okay ...that's not too long to wait, I thought.

"And this time I think they are going to stay for a week or something. Your Uncle got work to do in his Company's office here." My eyes widened in surprise. For a week ...are you serious? I hope I am not daydreaming.

I thought about all the things I had to do to make everything look perfect and make myself look presentable too. With the news said, I went over to my room, shut the door behind me, and climbed on my bed, dancing like a crazy teenager in love. Well, I was truly in love.

After I was done wrecking my bed, I was called by my mom for the house chores. Whenever we had guests coming, all the house chores had to be divided among everyone. Mom and I worked on the food and kitchen, while my dad and my brother took care of the cleaning of the house, but I did my room.

I laid in my bed, drained after all the work was done. I decided to text Mehnaz, my best friend giving her the news of my delight.

"Guess who is coming...?"- me

" I don't know ...who..?"- Mehnaz

"Humdaan is ...."- me

"What .....is he??? I can't believe it. I'm so happy for you !!!!!"- Mehnaz

"Thank you...but I think it' the last time I'll be seeing him, though😥 "- me

"Hey! don't say that. What makes you think that way?"- Mehnaz

"His senior year is over. He just graduated from high school. I don't know where he is gonna go for uni.."- me

"Aww... relax, love. Don't worry, everything happens for a reason. Chill! Just enjoy the time you are gonna spend with him, starting from tomorrow. We are not sure if he is gonna stay or not. Focus on tomorrow and don't let anything get you, alright."- Mehnaz

"Hmm.. yeah you are right. Maybe I'm just overthinking. Whatever. Goodnight."- me

"Send me pictures. Get dressed nicely. Don't forget to put on some makeup. Keep your emotions in check and don't do anything stupid."- Mehnaz

Rolling my eyes at her I typed my reply: "Yes, Ma'am. Sure will"- me

"Allah hafiz, love "- Mehnaz

"Allah hafiz"- me

Mehnaz was always the one who knew exactly how I felt. She always knew what I wanted and what was on my mind. She was my adviser, director, therapist, the one who I could confide in no matter what. Plus, she was the only soul who knew about Humdaan and me. All in all, she was my sister, from another mother.

After talking to Mehnaz, the night passed in excitement because I was to see him after 6 months. I brushed out all my worries and had my prayers done, before dozing off to sleep.

Hey there readers.
Hope you guys like my work.
Please don't forget to type your thoughts in the comment section and hit the star to vote.
Happy reading.

XOXO

M.