Embrace the Impact

Momina Abdul Majeed

He left just as he came. Days turned into weeks, weeks turned into years. Aunt Ayesha did come over a few times, but he wasn't there. Humera got married. Unfortunately, we couldn't make it to her wedding and I lost a huge chance of seeing Humdaan again.

My mom told me that we were going to have guests coming tomorrow for a proposal, my wedding proposal. But I was least interested to know about them and the guy.

I was sitting in the food court of an outlet store, waiting for Mehnaz to arrive. Its been a while since we last met and I had to get my frustration out on someone. That, someone, was none other than Mehnaz herself, and at times I was hers. I was deeply lost in my thoughts when someone knocked on my table, I looked up to see Mehnaz with a smile. I squealed like a 10-year-old and took her in a long sister hug.

"Assalam Alaikum. How are you?" I yelled in her ear happily. I was beyond happy to see her after so long.

"Walaikumassalam. Let go, your bones are hurting me." I let go instantly like she was choked, smacked her arm but smiled anyway.

"So...how is everything going on? Any news..." I asked casually, settling down on the chair.

"Nah...nothing, same old me alone. How about you? How is everything at home? How are things going with Humdaan ?" She inquired.

"Everything is fine at home but, nothing is between me and Humdaan.
Only fights." I slumped in my seat and all my excitement from seeing her was gone.

"Let's get something to eat first, shall we..."

"No, I am--" Before I could speak and protest, she pulled me by my arm and dragged me into Starbucks. All I needed was coffee, to pull me and my thoughts together and she knew it. We bought brownies, chocolate chip muffins, and coffee for us before we sat again.

"So, what's the deal with Humdaan?"

"I have no clue." I sighed. I had to get it all out. It's now or never. So I began my story.

"He just won't speak to me the way he used to anymore! All we do now is fight over silly stuff. Yesterday, he called me at night but for some reason, I don't remember I couldn't answer it. After like around 10 minutes, I called him back. He began yelling at me for no specific reason. He goes- 'You don't care about me anymore !! Did you find someone else there? Is that why you've sent me away so that you could be with him more often.' He called me names and I couldn't take it anymore and hunged up the call." Tears started rolling down my face, again.

If I said I was frustrated, that would be an understatement. What I felt right now was beyond frustration and I didn't know what to do. That's the main reason for seeing Mehnaz today. She stood up and took me in her arms and I wept for what felt like an hour or so.

"I just don't get, if something is wrong he wouldn't tell me. He always blames me whenever he is in a bad mood. And he's been in a bad mood ever since he left. You know, it's been so long since we had a normal conversation. All I remember is his fights and calling me names." I grizzled like a baby.

"It's like he has made a huge wall around him, and it makes it even harder for me to reach out to him. I want to be there for him, always. But he is not helping." I hiccuped after I was done.

"Shhh...It's okay...Everything is going to be alright. I promise. Just pray and turn towards Allah. Inshallah, He will fix everything. Maybe he is testing you both and---"

"And we are failing miserably." I finished the sentence for her.

"Don't say that, Momina. Maybe, he has something else, something better than this, in store for you. You never know! Trust Him, make dua and he'll fix it." She cooed.

"What do I ask for, huh? What do I pray? For him to give me back my Humdaan? Or take him away completely?" I yelled.

"No, you idiot. Pray that he gives you what is best for you. Maybe, it's not Humdaan. Maybe it's someone else. Someone who will love you, respect you, care for you. Someone who won't shut you out but will, turn towards you for support in rough times. Have patience, Momina. Remember, we have Allah with us. He won't turn his back on you and will never leave you alone in any situation."

Silence befell us.

"It's the gift he gave you before he left, isn't it?" She asked tracing her fingers on the bracelet.

I sigh "Yes, it is."

I sat there just like that. I finally stopped crying and was calm again. I got up to use the restroom and walked with my head down when I bumped into something hard. Thankfully, it wasn't the wall but a person. In fact, a brick wall of muscle. I didn't look up because I knew I looked like shit and muttered a 'sorry', not sure whether he heard it or not. Who cared? I had enough problems already to deal with. I splashed some water on my face, wiping the smeared mascara and made myself look presentable again.

"You alright?" She asked as I sat down and took a sip of my once hot latte.

"Yeah feeling better now." I took a deep breath and gave her a small smile.

"I have a proposal waiting at home for me tomorrow." I forgot to mention another reason for the meeting.

"Hmmm, so what do you think?" She asked munching on her muffin.

"I have no clue as to who they are, where are they from, and all those stuff. All I was told that I was to look 'presentable' and appealing."

"You don't even know the guy's name yet?"

"'Murad Iqbal' is what I heard my parents say. "

"Nice name, isn't it? Murad.." She trailed off.

"Yeah, it's good enough. But I like Sheikh better." I said with a chuckle and Mehnaz gave a confused look and furrowed her eyebrows.

"Anyway, let us see if this Murad guy can pass the family test." My family test was the main thing that any guy had to clear. If he manages to answer all the questions my family asked then, he would be approved as a candidate for me. Sounds like a piece of cake? But it isn't.

"A family test!! What the hell is that, Momina?" She snickered.

"You know how I was pampered since I was a kid, right? You've met my family and see how they treat me, especially my grandparents."

"Oh my Allah! I remember the kind of questions they asked me when I first met them. It was like an interview. Correction, actually worst than an interview. But it's cute though, they love you a lot obviously and they won't just give you away to anyone just like that."

"That's exactly my point. They are going to bombard the guy with questions he's never heard of and if he fails, I'll have one more name add on to my list that was scared away, thanks to my grandpa. But...if he passes the test, then it's up to Allah." The last part came out in a shaky voice for some reason.

"Aye, now finally it's my girl talking there." She smiled at me, giving me an approving look, before taking a bite of her muffin.

XOXO 

M.