Guest

Murad Iqbal

I was in the study, working on a deal with my clients on a call, when I heard my phone buzz. It was my manager calling. Putting the phone to my ear, I spoke "Hello, Mr.West. How are you doing ?"

"I am fine, Murad thank you. I called to let you know that you have to leave for Turkey, soon. There has been some issues there, with the deal you signed with them. And no one knows it better than you to handle it." He tells me.

"I didn't get anything about it , Sir. And as far as I remember, I didn't have any trips for the next 3 months."

"I know Murad, that is why I am phoning you myself. I think you should come to the office tomorrow, so that I can tell you everything in detail. Then, you will be ready to leave the day after tomorrow." The day after tomorrow was too early! I was married and had things to take care of, Momina to take care of. How was I going to do all that?

"The day after tomorrow? I am sorry, Mr.West but I can't--

"It's better if you see me at the office tomorrow, Murad. No excuses when duty calls. I'll see you then. Good night." He hung up the call saying this.

I ran a hand through my hair in frustration. How can I leave Momina, when she is still trying to get over Ammi's death. How am I going to leave her alone? Even Mom and Dad are not in town for her to stay with them until I return. I sighed and got up from the position, I had been sitting for the last few hours. I stretched my body and headed towards the kitchen to make myself some coffee. I saw Momina sitting on the couch, watching a random talk show. I decided to ditch the coffee, for now and instead headed towards her and slumped on the couch. I rested my head on her fragile little shoulders, and she kept hers against mine. After a few moments of silence passed by, I broke the silence. "I am going to the office tomorrow."

"I thought you didn't have to this week?" She asked, turning her attention towards me.

"West called me a few minutes ago saying about the work and stuff." I took a pause before continuing "And, I have to leave for maybe a weeks trip, the day after tomorrow." I waited for her reaction, but she remained silent. Then, I moved to look at her face, trying to read her expression which was a mix of everything.

"You don't have a choice, now do you?" She asked me, already knowing what the answer is. I shook my head and pouted. "Stop being a kid, who hates going to the school," She said, playfully smacking my arm.I wrapped my arms around her, taking her into an embrace.

"I won't be long." I whispered. She relaxed in my arms, feeling home.

"I know." She replied quietly.

"You have to be a good girl and take care of yourself, when I am gone."

"I will."

"Promise?"

"Promise." She nuzzled her face in the crook of my neck. I tightened my grip on her, not wanting to let her go, inhaling her scent like it was some drug I was addicted to. Momina was now recovering, but something in me still won't believe, that she is absolutely fine. She has been opening up to me once again, but wouldn't give her to me completely. I wonder what makes her feel scared? 

No one have seen her vulnerable side, other than me, which makes me proud. She doesn't open up to everyone. Only a hand full people knew her true side and I, luckily was now one of them. I know for a fact that, she wasn't like this before. Something made her build walls all around her, something made her shut herself out from the world. All I needed to know what that something was, or it could be someone. I quickly brushed that thought away and focused on the former.