His Hauntings

Momina Abdul Majeed

Everything was set up and the guests were about to arrive. I was supposed to be sitting in my room until I was summoned. But for the last 2 times, I didn't even get a chance to come out because my family didn't like the guy. Let's see what happens today!

I heard the door bell ring and everyone saying their Salam. I texted Mehnaz saying:

 "He is here 🤞🏻🤞🏻" - me

"Did you see him?" -Mehnaz

"No. Remember.. if only he succeeds in the test, will I be called. If he doesn't they won't bother to call me." -me

"Let's see what happens and hope for the best, Inshallah." Mehnaz

Just then a cousin of mine, entered my room saying 'they want to see you.'

My eyes widened in surprise. After hearing that, I was impressed honestly, that this Murad guy managed my family. Then, he surely must be a thing. 

And texted Mehnaz "I am gonna go in now. It's show time !"

"Ok, just don't mess anything up please"  Mehnaz.

I didn't bother replying, tossed the phone on my bed and pulled a hijab on my head. This was the first time I wore it for any proposal, because I felt like doing it the 'halal' way.

I entered the room greeting everyone with a smile. A lady who I assume to be the guys mom stood up and took me into a hug.

 "Mashallah, Mashallah. You are even prettier than what I had imagined you to be. Sit my dear, here sit beside me." She patted the spot beside her, motioning for me to sit.

I sat down and looked at my mom, who gave a keep smiling look.  After asking me few questions about my career, job and myself, Murad's dad spoke.

"I think we should let the kids talk now. So that we can give the answer soon." They seem to be very eager to give their answer.

"Brother, we have no rush. Take your time and let us know." My dad said.

"Brother Arif, we have waited for quite a long time now. Trust me, girls like your daughter are not easy to find today. We'll give our answer and leave the rest to Allah." A satisfactory smile and a proud moment this was for my parents.

From what I can see their answer is going to be a 'yes'. I had to stop it somehow. I looked over to Murad who had his head down the whole time. I hope he does not fall in the Mommy's obedient son's category. I wondered.

"Momina and Murad if you guys want to get to know each other a bit, you can sit in the yard. Till then we elders would like to have a chat." Uncle said.

I got up and motioned for Murad to follow me, but before leaving he gave his father a weird look and his father responded with a curt nod. Strange! Now it was all on me. We entered the yard and as always I stood gazing up at the sky for a few moments and a small smile crept on my face. Murad then cleared his throat and I was snapped back to reality.

"So you want to go first?" He didn't speak so I decided to bombard him with questions. As if the session earlier with my family was not enough to scare him away.

"You go first." Damn his voice!

"I don't have anything specific on my mind. The session with your family earlier, had everything vanish from my mind." He said politely.

"Alright!So... do you smoke ?" He wasn't taken aback or caught off guard, but he was calm in answering as if he knew I would ask these questions. He shook his head implying a 'NO'