Mark You Mine

Momina Abdul Majeed

I unlocked the door to our apartment and I heard familiar voices coming from the living room. Murad was working from home today but someone else was there with him. I did not take my scarf off and entered the living room to find Humdaan and Murad sitting on the couch. They were laughing and seemed to be having a good time together, now. Strange!

Murad's back was facing me and Humdaan's face lit up on my sight. "Assalamoalaikum" he said smiling. Murad turned to look at me, saying Salams. "Walaikumsalam." I replied to both of them.

"What brings you here, Humdaan?" I inquired, standing beside where Murad was sitting. He seemed to be taken aback by my question.

"Humdaan invited us to dinner this Friday, Momina." Murad replied instead and Humdaan nodded in agreement.

"But, mom and dad are not here." I argued.

"I know, she called just the two of you."

"Who else are going to be there?" I asked furrowing my eyebrows.

"You guys, Humera's family and us. Now if you are done with bombarding me with questions, I'd like to take my leave, as I have to go." He said getting up from his spot and shook hands with Murad.

"Allah hafiz." He said looking at me one last time before heading towards the door. Murad looked at me like I was an alien and gave me questioning look. I ignored it as I was tired and my stomach was growling.

****

Murad Iqbal

We sat in the car and drove to Aunt Ayesha's place. From what I can remember, they were really sweet people and very close family. Momina spent a major part of her life with them and they were very fond of her, as well. We have been driving for about 15 minutes now, but in an unusual silence.

"You okay?" I asked her.

"Huh? Yeah, good." She nodded her head, deep in thought.

"You don't seem to be fine though."

"What do you mean?"

"You didn't dress up like you always do, all you have is moisturizer on your face. You look pale and tired, like you are sick, Momina."

She sighed, resting her head back. "I just didn't feel like doing anything today."

"You didn't want to go, right?" She nodded her head moments later.

"You could've told me then, I would've made some excuse."

"That wouldn't be fair from our side. If I wanted I could've said no easily, but you know I couldn't do that." She was right though.

"I have something you need." I told her and reached for the hand rest and pushed it open. I took out a Lindt dark chocolate bar and handed it to her. She smiled at the sight of her favorite chocolate and looked at me lovingly. She opened her mouth to say something I knew already.

"I know, you're welcome. Now eat! we're almost there." Without wasting another second she opened the packet and broke the bar into two, keeping one for herself and putting the other one in my mouth. I wasn't a fan of dark chocolate but ate it anyway.

***

Momina Murad Iqbal

After what Murad told me, I looked at my self in the mirror, confirming my sick look. I had my just in case makeup kit in my bag, thankfully. I quickly, put some powder on to cover the pale skin, with a tad bit of blush, some lip gloss and a mascara. I turned towards Murad raising an eyebrow and he nodded with a smile. Look approved ✔.