A Crack In The Glass

Momina Abdul Majeed

To say I was surprised would be subtle because I was completely astounded. The look in Mehnaz's eyes was screaming something bad happened, and her faint voice when she said Salam confirmed so.

I replied to her Salam and dragged her into the house and shut the door behind me. She made her way to the couch, taking a seat, and offered me a weak smile. I brought a glass of water because she didn't look in the condition to eat anything and sat beside her.

"Is Murad home?" Was her first question.

"No." I answered and she fell silent, fidgetting with her scarf.

I placed a hand on hers and asked "What is wrong Mehnaz? What's bothering you?" She remained silent and looked at everything but me. "Did something happen at home?" I further inquired. She shook her head in a negative.

"Today.. I was in the city plaza and I ..." It was like she didn't trust her own voice and fell silent again. " I saw.." She sighed and fetched her phone from her sling bag and gave it to me.

I looked at her baffled when I heard my phone ring, which was placed on the center table in front of me. I placed her phone beside me and picked mine, but the person decided to give a miss call. I was about to keep it back when I noticed that I had received a new text. I glanced at Mehnaz who was busy with her head down in her phone. I tapped on the icon to see I had 2 pictures of a couple making out. With the caption saying 'Your husband's whereabouts.'

 Usually, I would just shrug such things off. But the word Husband in the caption caught my eye and curiosity took toll because I zoomed in the first picture and a gasp escaped my mouth. Mehnaz turned to look at me upon hearing the scream like a gasp and examined the picture, snatching the phone from my hands. I looked at her to capture her reaction and a frown formed at her forehead when she gave me knowing look.

Realization dawned on me! She was trying to tell me about this. That's why she asked where Murad was. Things came down crashing on me and it was too much for me to take it. I couldn't breathe anymore. It was like all the air was knocked out inside of me, I began feeling catastrophic. I was shivering. No. I was trembling as tears ran down my face. I couldn't believe what I saw. I was not going to trust this unknown source, which made up a horrible prank.

I began shaking my head saying 'no'. It was then Mehnaz interveined saying "I am sorry Momina. But that's what I saw today. I saw Murad with a girl in the cafe ... together." She lowered her gaze upon saying the last part. Then she took out her phone and showed me the same picture just taken from a different angle. The tears wouldn't stop. The pain surged within me, making me want to break everything. I balled my hands in fists and kicked the table in front. Mehnaz quickly grabbed my feet and hands, using all her might to hold me in place. I was broken. I was hurt. Just this morning he was here with me and then this..

"What happened between you two? Why isn't he here? Did you guys fight over something?" She asked.

"Tell me Momina. What made him go this further?" Her voice was low yet threatening in a strange way.

"I--I think he got to know ab-about Humdaan and me." I stuttered.

"What?!" Mehnaz exclaimed. "Tell me everything from the start Momina, right now!" She demanded.

"Last night he came home from somewhere, I don't kn--know. Then he said that he saw Humdaan leave the building." I paused, sitting up straight and wiping the tears away. "He got so angry because he thought I saw Humdaan behind his back when I didn't. I promise I didn't even know he was here until Murad told me himself."

"And then what happened?" She further inquired.

"He left. Not letting me explain anything and not hearing me out." I ended with a sigh and glanced at Mehnaz, who looked deep in thought, with a frown on her forehead.