If Only I Cared!

Murad Iqbal

"So what do you think Mr.Iqbal? Should we give it a go?"

"No. Somethig is wrong. She's upto something" I mumbled, with my brows furrowed, massaging my temple, staring at the space ahead, deep in thought.

"Come again?" West asked, breaking the trance I was in and bringing me back to reality. I looked up at him and glanced around the room, to see everyone already looking at me, in a weird way.

"Yeah!" I cleared my throat awkwardly and sat up straight in my chair, looking at the screen, trying to figure out what in the world was going on in this room.

"Well, if you ask me, Mr.West, I think we should definitely give it a go. We all know how much we need this deal before the others get a hand on it." I spoke, bobbing my head, while taking and paused to look around once again. Some of the weird looks were now replaced a smile, and by the looks of it, I said something that either didn't make sense or is not right.

"I am sorry, but I have to make a really important call." I raised from my chair and said "If you could excuse me." Kindly excusing myself, I grabbing my coat from the chair and speed walked out of that damn conference room.

I flicked on my phone, scrolling through the contacts and dialed her number. I tapped my feet impatiently against the floor of my cabin, gazing out at the busy city. The ring went thrice but she didn't pick up. I called her once again, and thankfully this time, she picked up.

"Assalamalaikum." I greeted before she could say anything.

"Uh..Hello, Mr. Iqbal. It's me, Lynn."

"Er..Hello Lynn. How are you?" I spoke, trying to mask the rising fear and anxiousness in my voice.

"I am fine, thank you. Momina is currently in a meeting. Is there any message I can take for her?" She asked politely, before silence befell us, because I was too busy in thinking about what to tell her.

What do I tell her? Call me back? But what would I do when she'd call me back? Oh lord! Why did I even decide to call her in the first place?

"Uh, Hello? Mr.Iqbal you there? " Came her voice.

"Huh? Yeah. Umm....nothing. Bye." I quickly hung the call, throwing the phone away on the couch. I sighed, shutting my eyes and rested my forehead on the cold glass.

What is she trying to do?

She was so energetic since morning, running around the house, completely avoiding me every time I ask her something. And when, I was about to leave, she decides to come to me and fix my collar. But something about it seemed off. The hug we shared seemed different.

Almost distant.

The emotion she was trying to mask in her eyes! For the first time I couldn't for the life of me figure out what her eyes were indicating me, trying to tell me the havoc she has become inside. Her eyes almost begging me to do something, but I didn't know exactly what to do in that moment.

She seemed to be broken. Completely shattered about all that's been happening in our lives, lately. The embrace we shared in the morning felt empty. I can't recall the last time I hugged her with love and affection.

I missed us.

I missed the way her eyes lit up with happiness every time I surprise her with dark chocolate. I missed the way her nose scrunches up when I peck at it. I miss her blabbering things that went on for hours and hours.

I missed her.

I began pacing in my office, restlessly, loosening my tie that seemed to suffocate the air out of me. I wanted to hear her voice. I wanted to see her wait for me to return from work, and peck her forehead like I always do. I wanted to hold her in my arms. I checked the time on my wristwatch, which showed 5 pm. She must be home by now.