Let Me

Murad Iqbal

I shut the door to my room and turned around to see the most beautiful bride ever. My bride! I stopped dead in my tracks as she looked up at me. She sat there on our bed, in her maroon traditional wedding attire and the dimly lit room made her look even more exquisite. Although we got all her dresses, I tried to imagine how she'd look in them. But she looked more prettier than I expected. I hope no other man except for her family saw her like this. After all, I am her protective or rather possessive husband and it's mandatory for me to protect her from now on. I walked up to her and crouched down to get a better look at her. She raised an eyebrow thinking I am a creep, staring at her. I watched her like a child  admiring the moon and wanting to touch it. But this child has his moon with him.

"You look ravishing." Is all I could say. I saw her blush a little before she said; "You're going to hurt your knees if you sit there the rest of the night." Damn, I could do that as well. But, I had my whole life ahead of me to watch her like that. 

So I got up and took her face in my hands. Her body stiffened at my touch, but she relaxed slightly after I placed a kiss on her forehead. I sat down beside her and wanted to start the conversation somehow. We didn't get to see each other much before the wedding, as it's been only half a year since we first met.

"So how are you?" I mentally hit my head for asking such a stupid question.

"I'm fine. How have you been? " She replied in a not sure tone.

"Good. Just a  bit tired, that's all." I was tired and slowly started feeling sleepy as the bed looked cozy and inviting. But I didn't want to give up on her just yet and obviously not wanting to waste the first moments of my married life.

"Yeah, me too." She said and fell silent. I think she is not much of a talking person which meant I had to start every time.

"So, how did you like the food?" 

"It was scrumptious, but I couldn't get enough of it though."

"Why not?"

"How can you eat with a plate full of everything being the bride when everyone has their eyes on you." I burst out laughing while she was whining like a kid.

"What's so funny? I eat a lot okay. So bear with me!" She said pretending to be annoyed giving a hint of a smile on her gorgeous face. Damn!  She is cute.

"It doesn't seem like you eat a lot though." I said eyeing her up and down. Sure, she was thin and doesn't look like she was much of an eater.

"Everyone says that! Can't a person eat a lot and stay slim at the same time?"

"Sure, if they hit the gym regularly. Do you work out?"

"No, I don't." I looked at her in disbelief, but let it pass, anyway.

"I am sure you do it, though." After she said that her face turned red and she looked away.

"Well, yes I do. And don't worry about eating, I could accompany you sometimes." We fell silent for a moment. I took her hand and got her up on her feet and said. "Let me give you a tour of the room." I looked down to see her small hand in mine and felt it all sweaty.

 "What's it with the sweat? It's not too hot here....is it?" Maybe she was nervous like me or felt hot in her dress.

"Oh no, it's not that. My palms are always sweating, it's an old habit." She eyed her hand in mine and tried to retrieve it. I held it, not letting go. Sweat didn't bother me so I continued to show her around the place. It was much cleaner than it usually is, obviously. But I hope she will take care of all of us together. After some more talk, I went in to change and took a quick shower.  She was on her phone when I entered the room probably texting her mom or something. She looked up and I nodded towards the washroom.

I took my phone out while Momina was in the shower only to see that, I had a dozen texts from my best friend, Rayan. 

"Someone is losing it tonight 💏💏" -Rayan

"Only if you could not disturb me, I would do something then." - me

"No kidding, that was the only thing left for you."-Rayan

"Obviously, I am not like you!!" - me 

"Shut the fuck up. You were the one to lose your first kiss before I did."-Rayan

"And you were the first to lose it before I did!" - me 

"Course, who remains a virgin for so long ??"-Rayan

"Me ✌🏻- me

"Hell yes ......what did you get  in return for your precious wait ?? "-Rayan

As I was about to type my response, I heard the door unbolt and entered a freshly showered Momina. I didn't see her hair exposed, until now. They were a nice shade of brown that almost resembled her eye color. Again, she caught me staring and smirked. 

"What is it with you and your staring?"

"It's not staring wifey, but admiring." Her smirk now turned into a shy smile and she slowly walked to the other side of the bed. She got under the blanket saying 'Allah hafiz' and turned with her back facing me. As I was about to pick up my phone to text him, Momina sat up on the bed and said in her soft, and soothing voice

"Murad.."

"What's wrong?" I turned to look at her.

"Umm...sorry for the question but ... do you snore?" She asked me innocently. 

"What? No. I mean, I don't know. How am I supposed to know that?"

"Yeah, obviously. How are you supposed to know that! Also, umm....do you like sleep talk or something of that sort?"

"What is wrong with you?" I almost yelled at her stupid question. What has gotten into her ?

"I am asking you. Didn't you sleep beside anyone until now?" She argued.

"Well I did but, no one told me anything about what I do when I sleep." She must be a light sleeper, that's why she is asking me such questions.

"Fair enough. Sorry, go back to whatever you were doing." She said defeated.

"Do you have sleep issues or something like that?" I was concerned. If she had something like that she should tell me, just in case.

"Oh no! Nothing of that sort, Alhamdulillah ( Praise be to Allah ). It's just that I am a very light sleeper and can't sleep when someone is snoring or something." She confessed.

"Well, I don't think I do any of those things. Rest assured. If you want anything just wake me up. Alright?"

"Ok thanks." I saw her relax and she laid down and was soon asleep.

I replied to his text

"Hell yes, what did you get for your precious wait?"

"Love and a companion for life," I replied looking at that small figure lying feet away.

XOXO

M.