Dinner

Momina Abdul Majeed

We came back home from our grocery shopping and as per the deal, Murad immediately started with the cleaning. I was in the kitchen, marinating the chicken when I heard my phone ring, sitting on the counter and Mehnaz's name flashed on the screen. I answered the call and said my Salam. 

"Walaikumsalam. How are you?"

"I am fine, Alhamdulillah. All okay?" I asked her.

"Yeah. Actually, Uhhh....Momina I can't come tonight at your place. Sorry but I got some really important work to do." I shut my eyes and sighed at the information I received.

"It's alright. No big deal. I don't blame you though." I managed to say.

"I am really sorry, love. But I can't do anything at the last moment."

"Mehnaz I get it. I said I don't blame you. Its okay. We still have many dinners coming after this inshallah. So chill." I reassured her.

"Thank you, so much. And I am really sorry. I promise I'll make up for it next time. Okay, see ya. Allah hafiz."

"Allah hafiz." I said and disconnected the call. I went back to marinating the chicken, which was almost done. Murad entered the kitchen and asked "What happened? Who was on the phone?"

"Mehnaz. Said she won't make it tonight." He nodded slowly. "Is Rayan coming?" I asked him. The last thing I want is to sit on the same table as Humdaan and Murad. And the main reason for me to call Rayan and Mehnaz was to use them as a shield against Humdaan. I might be making a huge deal out of nothing right now, but I can't risk anything when it comes to my past.

"Yes, he is coming. He called me a few minutes ago, saying so." Relief washed over me on the good news. "So, what are you making?" He asked, jumping backwards to sit on the counter.

"Your favorite, biryani." I said with sarcasm laced in my voice.

"This is what I get after cleaning the entire house! Out of all the things you chose to make biryani today! Great. Just great." He pouted folding his arms across his chest like a 5 year old.

"What is wrong with you? How can you not like biryani, Murad? How can anyone on earth not like biryani? I am going to make sure, our children's favorite food is biryani." I blurted out. Murad looked at me with an amused expression. I could feel my ears turn hot, and my face go crimson red. Because Murad burst into fits of laughter.

"Well if that's what you want then, it's totally fine by me." He replied casually."By the way, how many do you want? I hope 10 twins are enough, aren't they?" He asked cocking his eyebrow at me.

"10 twins! What do you think I am ....a machine?" I asked him in shock.

"What, you can't say no to me, I am their father!" Murad exclaimed.

"Now, I know what kind of father you are going to be."

"What kind?" He said getting down and hugging me from behind.

"The one who annoys their mom." He chuckled. "Now go take a shower. It's almost time they come." I told shoving him away.

"I hope they are not bossy like their mom."

"And I hope they are not stubborn like their dad." I said before he left.

It was 7 pm and everything was almost done. I wore a long maroon top pairing it with a white jeans and a black hijab. I didn't apply too much make up, as most of the time I was going to be in the kitchen. I heard the door bell ring and Murad got it. I think it was Rayan because, Murad's voice was so cheerful. Well, it's always like that, but when it comes to your best friend, it's a bit extra.