Humdaan

My favorite chapter 💘 😥

Momina Abdul Majeed

"Ah! I am tired!" 

Was the only thing I could say, after such a long day. And the couch, I just crashed on made it more inviting for me to sleep on it. But my grumbling stomach or I should say the hungry baby, wouldn't allow me to do just that, without eating something first.

"I'll be right back, after a shower." Murad spoke before heading into our bedroom.

We just came back, after bidding farewell to his parents and dropping them off to the airport, despite of their protests. They, for the very first time, not just visited us but stayed for a whole week. 

A whole week.

To say I was surprised would be inapt, because I was immensely happy for Murad. Of course, we both were shocked to see them here in the first place, but things got better during their stay at our place.

Murad was on cloud nine. Overwhelming with happiness. Finally, his parents, came to realise they have a son as well. At first, I thought that they had some issues or holding grudges, against each other for some reason, but they had no reason. It was like, they were confused, and I found the lack of communication the reason behind all of that. All the years they wasted couldn't be filled up by just a week, but at least it could quench their thirst. And it did.

Nonetheless, they were here, excited for the arrival of their grand child, gave us their blessings, spent lots of time with Murad, and left.

After spending a few more minutes, sprawled on the couch, I finally stood up, making my way to the kitchen. I didn't even take my hijab off, let alone my shoes. Making my self a nutella sandwich was the only thing on my mind. As I was about to take a bite of the nutella filled bread, the doorbell rung, ruining our moment.

"The world won't even let you have nutella in peace." I groaned, placing the bread on the counter, and went for the door. I peeked through the eye hole, to see some one I'd never expected to be.

Humdaan!

I felt the anger surge with in, as I flung the door open. There he stood, in a blue plaid shirt and black ripped jeans. His head which was hung low, now matched my height. Beads of sweat forming on his forehead already, and his eyes, behind his glasses, held an unreadable expression.

"What are you doing here?" I snapped. Not wanting to deal with his drama anymore. He opened his mouth to speak or maybe defend himself, but I cut him off.

"Weren't you supposed to be in jail?" I asked, crossing my hands over my chest, and furrowing my brows.

"Or, let me guess, you escaped?" 

I saw him clench and then unclench his jaw, maybe trying to control his temper. But I didn't care, not anymore.

"I--"

"Who is it, Momina?" Yelled a voice, belonging to Murad, from somewhere inside the apartment.

"No one important." I answered, looking at Humdaan straight in the eye. A fresh wave of unfathomable emotion crossed in them. I heard Murad's footsteps come closer and closer, until I felt him right beside me.

Humdaan's eyes travelled from mine to Murad and after a brief moment of silence went by, after which Murad invited him in.

"Come on in." He said. At that both Humdaan and I were thrown off guard.

"What?" I asked bewildered, turning to Murad. He wasn't looking at me, but at Humdaan.

"Come in." He repeated, nodding his head towards the apartment.