Gifted

Momina Abdul Majeed

After cleaning the already clean apartment, I went to take a quick shower. Murad was to return home after his first trip, which was originally for a week but due to the amount of work, he had to extend it for another week.

I patted my hair dry, squeezing the water out. I wore a white floral top with black pants and put on some make up to look appealing. I was in the kitchen when I heard the door bell ring. I took deep breaths to calm down my racing heart and opened the door.

"Assalamoalaikum," I said in a cheerful tone.

"Walaikumassalam" Replied Murad in his white shirt and black loosened tie. He dropped his bag and took me in a long hug. All my wrecking nerves were calm again, and I felt at home.

"I missed you." He said and placed a kiss on my forehead. I missed him too. "Didn't you miss me?"

"No!" I denied the obvious, and pulled backto look at him. "Why would I miss you? We talked every night for hours." He looked down into my eyes, that were clearly saying the opposite, and smiled, like he knew I was lying.

"Liar." He mumbled under his breath and he hugged me even tighter before letting me go.

"I smell food. What's cooking?" He asked, walking into the living room, before crashing on the couch.

"See for your self. But, go freshen up first." I ordered him like a stern wife.

"I'm tired." He moaned. Clearly, he was tired and needed sleep, badly. As he was about to shut his eyes, I sat down beside him, stroking his cheek. "You must be hungry. Murad, go take a shower and let's eat." He groaned but got up anyway and went to take a shower. I sighed in relief, because he was a heavy sleeper and it would have been really difficult for me to wake him up then.

My phone rang which was on the counter. I picked it up to see it was mom."Assalamoalaikum, mom." I greeted.

"Walaikumassalam, Momina. You sound happy. Is Murad home?"

"Yes, mom. He came in fifteen minutes ago." I informed her ignoring the comment she made.

"Ok, that's good. You guys are having lunch here, tomorrow. Come early and don't be late." She ordered with no room for argument.

"Mom, I understand. But Murad is really tired and needs to rest a little. Plus, I have work tomorrow." I explained.

"What day is it tomorrow?"

"Friday."

"And did you forget you take a half day on Friday."

"Yes, mom. I do. But it's not for me. Murad just came back from a 2 week trip mom. He needs to rest."

"No, he doesn't." Said a voice, from behind me. I turned to see a shirtless Murad approaching me and before I could comprehend, he took the phone away from my hand to spoke to his mom.

"Assalamoalikum mom. How are you?" I heard him say and turned to get the food ready as I knew their mother-son talks won't end soon.

Murad Iqbal

I took the fastest shower possible, because my stomach won't calm down from all the grumbling. I entered our room and walked towards the closet to get myself a shirt when, I heard Momina speaking to someone on the phone.

"Yes, mom. I do. But it's not for me. Murad just came back from a 2 week trip. He needs to rest." I bet mom called us over tomorrow and my lovely wife didn't want us to go, well for me. I smiled at that thought and went to the kitchen.