Chapter Nine

Inside Victor’s apartment during the weekend, while he and Lauren were seated checking out a file, the doorbell rang and he went to open it. Seeing his mother, Mrs. Susan Coker, standing at the door, his lips formed a smile as he said, “Oh, hello, mum.”

“Hello son. How are you?”

“I’m fine, mum. Come in.” She entered inside with him taking the basket in her grasp closing the door.

While they shuffled into the living room, her eyes fell on the lady that she has never met her before seated. Seeing victor walk into the living room with a woman in her late forty’s, she knew at one glance that this woman was victor’s mum.

Laruen stood up with a bright smile and greeted, “Good morning, ma.” 

“Good morning.” Victor’s mother replied and turned to him; “Aren’t you going to introduce us?”

“Oh, mum this is Lauren. And Lauren, this is my mum, Mrs. Susan Coker.”

“It’s nice to meet you, ma.”

“Nice to meet you too… how are you, Lauren?”

“I’m fine thank you, ma. How are you?”

“Splendid! Thank you.” Susan answered with a kind expression.

“So mum, what brings you here?”

“I missed you and came also to drop some food I prepared for you.” Susan answered taking the basket in his grasp and setting it on to the table sitting on the sofa.

Lauren’s gaze shifted to victor as she mouthed the words; “I should get going now.”

“Already…?” He asked as his mother caught up on what they were talking about and turned to Lauren commenting, “I hope you are not leaving because of me?”

Lauren waved her hand dismissively. “No, ma’am, I’m not. I just brought Mr. Victor a document to read through.” Lauren heaved a quiet sigh and added, “Have a nice day, ma.” 

“You too, Lauren…”

“Mum, let me see her off.” Victor turned to Lauren. Let’s go.

They both walked to the front door and she turned to him.

“You don’t need to come out. Your mum is waiting for you.”

“Okay. I’ll see you at work then.”

“Okay. Bye.”

“Bye.” Lauren waved her hand and he followed in suit.

He closed the door and walked back into the living room. After serving his mother with cold drinks, Victor sat watching her, waiting in anticipation for the obvious questions to start flying out.

Mrs. S. Coker took a sip of her drink and then turned to him with a curious yet serious expression. She heaved and then began with a serious tone.

“So, care to tell me who she is?”

“Well, her name’s Lauren Ikojie.”

“And, how long have you known her?”

“It’s been a couple of weeks. Do you like her?”

“What?” “Do you like her?”

“Well, yes I do.” He answered his face bashful.

And just when he thought his mother was going to flare up at his admittance, she shocked him rather by smiling from ear to ear with excitement.