Chapter Seventeen

When her lips gave way, he kissed her deeply with his brows furrowed as he kissed her passionately. Remembering the time when his brother kissed her, got him enraged. “Mm!” Little muffled gasps escaped her lips as she struggled for a couple of seconds before finally breaking free from his grasp breathing hard with tears welled up in her eyes.

“What the hell? What did you kiss me?” She yelled every fiber of her being, hating his kiss.

Damien’s gaze was fixed on her as he said, “Now, we’re past the boss and employee relationship.”

As soon as those words left his lips, Lauren’s hand connected to his cheek, and she turned running into her apartment.

He went back into his car and drove off. Lauren entered the living room and slowly collapsed on the couch then, using the back of her hand; she wiped the tears in her eyes remembering the kiss forced on her a moment ago. She shook her head trying to rid herself of the memory and then touched her lips slightly.

‘Why…? Why would he do such a thing? She sobbed. After all the mean things he’s done to me… I shouldn’t let this get to me. I won’t let this get to me. I have only a month to go.’

The following morning…

‘Oh! I let it get to me…’ She whimpered. Like a zombie, with dark circled around her eyes, Lauren dragged her feet slowly making her way to the elevator of the company and pressed the button. Within seconds, the door silently opened and just as she was about to take a step into the elevator, her heart skipped a beat and a soft gasp escaped her lips. She froze as her gaze met that of the man standing inside the elevator.

Flustered with nowhere to go, she quickly threw her gaze to the floor, avoiding eye contact with him as she thought to herself.

‘Oh damn! I’m screwed. He’s staring at me. I can feel it.’ She thought. ‘What do I do now? Do I turn and walk away? No, no, no. It will only make things more awkward.’ She whimpered. ‘God! Of all places… why did it have to be here? But, wait. Why should I be the one avoiding him? I didn’t do anything wrong. He’s the one who kissed me first.’ Just then, the thought of the kiss between them, made her face flush. She shook her head quickly reminded herself that she is supposed to hate the kiss and not blush at the thought of it.

A mused look crossed his eyes watching her display series of emotions.

“Hey, aren’t you getting in?” Damien’s voice snapped at her bringing her back to reality as they stood looking at each other.

The elevator doors began to close as he reached out to touch the button opening it.
“Aren’t you getting in?” He asked again. She nodded quietly and got into the elevator and then the door closed.

Damien pressed the button to his office as the elevator began its ascent. Awkward silence loomed inside the elevator as it slowly made its way up. Lauren drummed her fingers eagerly waiting to get off. He noticed the feeling and finally broke the silence.

“Did you sleep well?”

“…Yes sir, I did.” She answered forcing a smile on her lips, and then turned to the door.

The elevator stopped at the 8th floor for the people standing outside the elevator to get in as uses the opportunity to slip out hurriedly, making the rest of her trip via a stair well to the office.

Later that afternoon…

Damien sauntered into his office and a grin suddenly formed on his lips seeing the person he’d been longing to see with her back to him sorting out files on the table. Slowly and quietly, he tip toed towards her and stopped a few inches away from her.