Chapter Twenty One

“Son, please slow down! Do you want to kill me, your mother?” Patience begged while holding on tightly to her seat. Vivian however, was silent as she carefully observed him, wondering what could be the cause of him behaving like this.

“I told you to brace yourself didn’t I? Better hold on tight because, I’m not about to slow down for anything.” He said, and pressed harder on the pedal increasing his speed, swerving in between lanes, while his mother continued to plead with him to slow down.

Moments later… as Damien finally arrived at his destination, steering the car to a screeching halt.

Seeing that the car has stopped, Patience blew out in relief. “I thought I was going to die.” She panted heavily as she raised her head observing the environment and then turned to him, with questionable eyes.

“What are we doing here?” Her tone was filled with curiosity.

The place he had brought them was a hospital that Lauren was admitted. Ignoring her, Damien climbed out of the car, making his way into the hospital. His mother climbed out of the car as well and so did Vivian and they follow behind him into the hospital.

Once inside, he approached the nurse’s station.

“Good afternoon, sir.” The nurse seated greeted. “How may I help you?”

“Yes, good afternoon. Uh, I’m here for a patient, Miss Lauren Ikojie.”

Vivian’s heart skipped a beat as she was stunned to hear Lauren’s name being called out.

“Just a second…” The nurse punched through the keyboard and saw the name being asked for appear on the screen.

She raised her head to look at him and spoke, “Yes sir. She’s in the female’s ward. It’s the third door to your left.”

“Ok thanks.” He quickly dashed for the female ward, while they followed him.

“Lauren?” Damien opened the door, calling out to her. He saw her seated on a couch across the room, with a drip attached to her left wrist. He was relieved to see her alive and back in one piece. Relieved to see him, “Damien…”  Lauren called out softly and stood up staring at him. She was happy to see him. But her happy face quickly disappeared, when Mrs. Coker entered the room, and saw them standing across from each other. She then turned her gaze to Damien, with a sour expression.

“Is this why you were driving like a maniac? To come and see this trash!” She spat with a hateful expression.

“Good afternoon, ma’am.” Lauren greeted as Patience cut her off.

“Shut up! Nobody’s talking to you.” She scowled at her before turning to Damien.

“You haven’t answered me, Damien… is she the reason you’re here!?”

“Yes mum, she’s the reason why I’m here!”

“Why? What has come over you? Why do you allow the likes of her to bewitch you?”

“…” Damien didn’t answer rather; his focus was on Lauren whose cheeks were streaming with tears.

Seeing her vulnerable made his chest hurt while his mother continued hurling hurtful words at her.

“I told you the other day that she is a gold digger. Just look at her, she’s not even worthy of your status or class.” Patience added. Damien’s blood boiled as he watched Lauren continuously sobbing quietly, using her right hand to wipe away the tears that flowed from her eyes. She must have wanted to say something but was trying to hold it in for his sake.