Chapter Twenty Three

A couple of days later, after Lauren’s full recovery…

Damien and Lauren make a quick stop at the super market and happen to meet with Damien’s step mother.

Susan upon seeing both of them full of smiles couldn’t help but smile back at them. But Lauren however had a look of guilt. It was as if she was caught red-handed cheating on Victor. When they had that discussion a few weeks ago, she was happy to have her tell her how she felt about her dating her son. And now with the way things turned out, left her feeling depressed.

She wondered what Susan might think of her at a time like this. Will she accuse her of cheating or label her as another one of those girls who nearly ended his life. When she reasoned that, she became even more depressed than she was. Words couldn’t express how she was feeling at the moment.

“Good afternoon, ma’am.” Lauren greeted with her face down.

“Good afternoon, auntie.” Damien also greeted standing beside Lauren. “I didn’t know you would be around I would have brought you a gift.”

“Aw, it’s alright. Good afternoon, son.” Susan chuckled. “How are you today?”

“I’m fine thank you, aunty.”

“Lauren how are you doing today?” Susan asked now directing her gaze at her.

“I’m fine thank you ma.” Lauren answered her expression revealing a bit of discomfort.

“Aunty, you two know each other?”

“Yes. She works here.”

"Damien, could you excuse me for a second. I’d like to talk to Mrs. Coker in private." Lauren said.

"Sure. I’ll wait in the car." Damien said as he waved goodbye to Susan and exit the mall pushing out the trolley in his grasp.

After Damien had left the building, Lauren turned to Susan with a timid look.

“I’m sorry.”

“Whatever are you sorry for?” Susan asked even though she knew what she was talking about.

“I know you had expectations that victor and I would wind up together but… I know we talked about this but I failed you. The truth is that I … I love Damien. Call me crazy but I can’t think of anyone else than him. Victor is a great man and I’m sure he would find a girl that is more worthy of him than me.”

“Hmmm!” Susan uttered and reached for her phone dialing a number. After a few rings, it connects.

“Can you please come into my office.” she said and hung up.

Moments later, the door to the office opened and Lauren turned and is a little surprised to see Damien walking in.

“Aunty, you called?”

“Yes have a seat.” He moved forward taking a seat beside Lauren who had a bewildered expression.

“Damien, the reason I called you in here is to clear the air between us.”

“Okay? Is something wrong?”

“No son. I would like to know, do you love Lauren?”

When she asked that, Damien turned to Lauren and then back to Susan and answered, “Yes. More than you can imagine.”

“Then that settles it.”

“That’s it.” Lauren asked surprised that she didn’t get the reaction she was expecting.

“Were you expecting to get yelled at and called names simply because you chose Damien over my son?” Lauren answered with a nod.

“Well, sorry to disappoint you but that’s not how I handle things. You being with Damien… is fate. It’s just the way things were meant to be. Besides Damien is my also my son so you still get to be my daughter in-law.” She laughed and turned to Damien and her expression turned slightly serious.