Chapter Sixteen

When the curtains to the dressing room opened, Damien was dazed at the sight of Lauren looking beautiful in the clothes he had picked out for her. The dress she wore was a full length off-shoulder peach mermaid gown embroidered in real diamonds. The clutch bag in her hand was the same color as her dress and also embroidered in stones as well. 

All these for just one night, ridiculous!

Lauren was of average height, curvy in all the right places so the dress fitted her perfectly. One of the workers guided her down the platform inside the dressing room as she stood a few inches away from him. Seeing her looking this pretty, he felt jealous and wanting to hide her from being seen by other people. Good thing it’s a masquerade party so the chances of her being noticed will be little. With that reasoning, he grinned.

Her cheeks flushed trying to look away from his gaze while he stood up; shoving his hands into his pockets, closing the gap between them still in a daze. Lauren was freaking out. The intensity of his gaze made her so uncomfortable that she wanted to crawl into a corner and hide.

“You look so beautiful… that I almost didn’t recognize you.” He said that she raised her flushed face, seeing the look in his eyes. The word captivated could be used to explain how he felt.

“T-Thank you, sir…”

“Let’s go.” Damien arched his arm out to her.

Feeling reluctant, she stared at him as he gestured her to hold it. She slowly slid her arm in halfway earning her a scoff as he then pulled her hand all the way till it was completely locked in and they started towards the door, while the workers at the store gushed at the sight which portrayed them as the perfect couple as they watched them leave the store.

Moments later, they arrived at the venue of the party where people who knew him approached him exchanging pleasantries and even had photo shots taken. The place where he brought her was, The 7 Aces.  The 7 Aces is the most famous club in X city.

The only people who are allowed into this club are the wealthy and respectable ones. Most times, celebrities in the city always come here just to have fun. The entrance fee is no joke though, yet there were people who tried to weasel their way in just so they could have a taste of the upper class society.

Before entering the hall, they were handed a pair of masks. They wore them and walked into the large and stylish hall that was packed with people. Everyone in the room had their masks on so it was difficult to know who was who. The only way they could identify themselves was through their voices. There was a huge banner hung on the wall with the words boldly written, “The 7 Aces masquerade party!”

There was an artist performing on stage surrounded by dancers. Other than watching this kind of party it on TV, this was a rare chance for her to be able to actually see how the rich and famous party. If someone had told her she would be in a place like this she never would have believed them.

“Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention please.” Their attention was drawn to the man standing on the stage with a microphone in hand.

“The 7 aces would like to welcome you to this wonderful event. And without wasting much time, I’d like to call on the owner of the 7 aces club; Mr. Richard Nixon.”

The whole hall erupted in a thunderous clap followed by cheering sounds as the man walked up the stage taking the microphone from the MC and then turned to face the guests.

“Hello, I’m Richard Nixon.” The guests clapped once again.

“I just want to say how glad I am to have all of you gathered here this evening. When I was on a trip in Italy…”