Chapter 16*

As much as Alex wished to ignore her family business, the fact that her eyes were frozen to Derek Hales' pale and clammy body was more than enough to abruptly awaken her.

Kate approached the dial box where the wolf's wires were presumably connected. Derek shifted forcefully as a result of the electrical waves she sent across his body as she turned the notches.

It took every ounce of patience and self restraint for Alex to avoid alex from stopping Kate.

"What are you doing to him? Is that gonna kill him?"  Allison exclaimed, in a question.

Kate smiled at the girls,  "Oh, come on, girls. Don't get all ethical on me now."

"What is he?" Allison asked

"Shape - shifter. Lycan. Werewolf." Kate listed, tisking "To me he's just another dumb animal."

"Come here."

Allison took a few steps closer, noticing her sister didn't follow.

But how could she when this wasn't the version Alex had been researching, spending time with, and actually witnessing?

Derek hale was no saint, but nor was he a monster. He was a deeply hurt man with trauma and pain, but this did not equate to an act that needed such punishment.

And all Alex could was what would she do to me

"Alex" Kate called

Alex swallowed thickly "I'm good here, thanks"

Kates face softened, as if this woman could know any sympathy "that's okay, it can be scary at first but you will learn to love your family business."

Alex felt sick, physically nauseous as late boasted about their family business.

Kate turned back to Derek. She lifted his lips "See these right here? These are canines, also known as fangs. Made for the tearing and rending of flesh."

"Not something you'd find on those cute little leaf - eating herbivores, is it?"

Allison scoffed, her arms crossed tightly across her chest "This is a joke to you?"

Kate shrugged, "Sweetheart, there are werewolves running around in the world. Everything's a joke to me."

Kate eyes fell upon Alex, who was still standing in the same spot staring at Derek with blank eyes.

"You are awfully quiet"

Alex blinked "Yeah I'm just.... processing"

"So it was him at the high school and all the other animal attacks?" Allison asked

"There's actually three of them" Kate correct her.

She flicked off the beam light and led her nieces to the door.

"Another younger one like him called a Beta, and then there's the Alpha. Alpha's the pack leader - Bigger, stronger, nastier. Those - are the real ugly ones" she explained

Allison leaned against the wall with hers arms folded over her chest  "When were they gonna tell me..us"

Kate exhaled, "They still haven't decided if they're gonna tell you"  

"Why?"  Alex managed to asked

"Let's just say if you react badly when you find out" she tsked  "Not good."

She walked down the path and the two girls followed behind her. One more eager to know more then the other.

"What do you mean,"not good"?" Allison asked