• 7 •

NUMB. That is what Sameer felt. It was like he was reliving those dreadful days when he was 16 years old. There was no one to hold his hand, embrace him, or console him at that time except for that one person who was his topmost priority. But today, he lost that person.

Who would pat his head now to give blessings? Who would embrace him when he would feel low? Who would watch movies with him and argue upon each character's performance? Who would show tantrums on having boiled food? Who would do the morning prayers which served all the house with positive vibes? Who would encourage him to do the best for the company? Who would listen to his random talks without judging him?

He knew that Nanu wasn't going to come back but refused to accept it. This is human nature. Denial is a defense mechanism we often use when we want to avoid confronting a personal problem or reality by denying its existence. This is what Sameer intended to do but was miserably failing in it. Nanu's memories, the photo frame hanging on the wall with a garland and the lull inside the house were, again and again, reminding him that he was gone.

It had been ten days since they attended the funeral. Everyone had come to give their condolences. They all mourned the death of a great personality. Sameer was too blank to even respond to anyone. Munna and Pandit had taken care of all the chores. Naina had also helped by doing her part. It was the toughest day of their lives.

In these 10 days, Munna and Pandit never left Sameer alone even for a minute. He had begun living like a robot whose battery had been left uncharged. The food used to be left untouched. Munna-Pandit somehow used to manage to feed him a few morsels. They were feeling hurt for not able to do anything to improve their best friend's state. He used to sit idle for hours staring at nothing in particular with an ashen face. It was a heart-wrenching sight.

Naina's condition too was nowhere better. She was missing her idol, her only friend, her mentor, someone whom she could address as her own. Three days after Nanu's demise, she had shifted in Sameer's house since they were married now. Though this relationship had no meaning for both of them, still, she had approved of this decision since she didn't want to disrespect Nanu's wish. Munna and Pandit had helped her to shift her essential stuff in his house. Side by side, they had taken care of Sameer too.

It wasn't easy for Naina to leave her house. Nanu's untimely demise was already taking a toll on her mind. Though she was living alone, still, she was content. She had Shaila Chachi too as a companion. They used to talk about numerous things. Whenever Chachi had some trouble using electrical gadgets, Naina used to help her. Similarly, whenever Naina had some trouble in correcting the ratio of spices in a new dish, Chachi would help her. That type of bond they had developed. After an emotional goodbye, she had finally left her home to start a new journey.

When she had entered his house, she was amazed as she watched the big white mansion with admiration. Nanaji used to tell her about Sameer's hard work and his efforts due to which they were living a peaceful life. She felt pity for him for seeing him in that state. She somewhere wanted to do something, to console him, to assure him that it's gonna be okay, but she couldn't. She knew she didn't have any right to do all that. Their marriage was only on papers.

She had been staying in the room in front of his since she had come, while Munna-Pandit stayed in Sameer's room.

Ramdhari too was very depressed. He was missing those morning-tea chit chats with Nanaji. He had always regarded him since he had done so much for him in tough times. He wasn't able to watch Sameer's gloomy state. When he had met Naina for the first time, he could see why Nanaji had chosen her for Sameer. Her polite and kind attitude had answered all his doubts about Nanaji's opinion.

Since they had been busy with their miseries, no one had visited the company. Munna and Pandit had taken care of the work by instructing the employees. Much to their satisfaction, they did the work sincerely. They didn't know how much time they would be working for without the CEO. This too was a problem. Any misstep would cause their entire accomplishments to fly out of the window.