• 8 •

"Main aane wale kal ke baare mein kuch nahi jaanti, par main apna waada pura karne ki koshish zaroor karungi Nanaji."

That day, when he had called her inside the hospital room, he had shared his vulnerabilities with her. Though he didn't tell her the exact reason behind this marriage, he did assure her that his decision was right and they will realise it later.
She recalled the day,

She was a bit confused when he had asked for her to come inside since she didn't have any idea about what he had to talk about specifically to her. She entered the room and saw him smiling fondly at her. It was still so difficult for her to register everything that had happened in the last few hours.

She took her seat on the chair beside his bed and asked, "Aapne aise achanak se mujhe kyun bulaya Nanaji? Kuchh baat hai kya? Kisi chiz ki zarurat hai aapko?"

Nanu gazed her with affection, "Tum meri sabse bahadur bacchi ho. Itna oonchaa darja diya hai tumne mujhko jabki main toh tumhara apna bhi nahi hun-"

She cut him off, "Aisa mat boliye Nanaji. Aapke alawa iss duniya mein mera hai hi koun. Ab aap bhi chale jayenge toh kaise hoga ..." Her voice wavered a bit in the end and a tear escaped from her eye.

Caressing her head lightly, Nanu replied, "Aise rote nahi beta. Mujhe kabhi na kabhi toh jana hi tha na ..."
Naina sniffed.

After a little pause, Nanu continued, "Tumhe pata hai maine tumhe hi Sameer ke liye kyun chuna?"
She shook her head in negation.

He said, "Kyuki mujhe pata hai ki tumhari nazar mein rishton ki kya aihmiyat hai. Tumhe lag raha hoga ki maine srf sameer ke baare mein sochke tumhara usse rishta jod diya jabki main toh tumhare guzre hue kal ke baare mein sab kuch janta hu .. Mujhe tumhari bhi bohot fikar hai beta ... Jo chiz hume atit mein fasaa ke rakhti hai, woh hume dukhon mein bhi fasaa ke rakhti hai ... Hume aage badkar apne aane wale kal ko behtar banana chahiye ... "

Naina couldn't utter a word and quietly listened to him.

"Sameer bhale hi khud ko mazboot aur sakht dikhata ho par andar se woh bilkul masoom hai. Maine dekhi uski aankhon mein woh bebasi, woh dukh jo usne apne dil mein chhupa rakhe hain. Mere jaane ke baad sirf tum hi ho jo usey himmat de sakti ho. Mujhe pura vishwas hai tum uska saath kabhi nahi chhodogi ... Nahi chhodogi na?"

Naina inhaled a deep breath and clutched his hands, "Main waada karti hun Nanaji ... chahe jo bhi ho, main iss rishte ko puri tarah se nibhaungi aur aapka vishwas nahi tutne dungi."

She had promised him but would she be able to fulfil it? This question was constantly stirring in her mind soon after Sameer had left from there. Somewhere, she had even thought of telling him about the hospital conversation but had chosen against it after what he said.

Jaisa chal raha tha, waisa hi chalne dete hain. This meant they would be doing all the things normally but would live in the same house as strangers even after being married. She knew it was much easier said than to do. The only relation which they had previously was that of a boss and an employee, which is far away from a relationship. This meant they would be doing all the things normally but would live in the same house as strangers even after being married. Funny how the tables had turned.

She had sat for a while in solitude gazing at the stars, thinking about the tough ride ahead and left to sleep after a while.

But sleep was was far away from her eyes. She was staring at the ceiling. This house felt alien to her even though she had been living here for a while now. She was feeling like an unwelcomed guest in this house which was supposed to be hers too since she was practically the daughter-in-law of this house.