CHAPTER 2 | THE NEW WORLD

It was very intriguing to Brooke how none of this really affected her all that much. One would think that when they find out they were part of something much bigger than themselves, that they came from people full of supernatural powers and that they too, were born with it, they would be – to put it mildly – losing their shit. But Brooke felt awfully calm as she walked past the security at the airport after bidding goodbye to her family a week after she received the letter.

She was anxious, though. Of course she was. She was going to fly more than 3000 miles to a place she had never visited before, on the word of solely an eighteen year old letter. The cherry on the cake was that she had no way of knowing if her grandmother was still alive and around, if she would be able to find this 'school' of magical arts or even if it was all real. To top even that off, there was no way of knowing if she would be able to get into this 'SAMS'.

What if they denied ever hearing of any 80 something woman by the name of Katherine? What if all of this was a hoax? She kept asking herself these questions. But, then, there was the voice in her mind – telling her to simply keep moving without over-thinking and over-analyzing the situation – and she did. After all, what she did have was the gut feeling and the voice of her sub-conscious telling her what to do and guiding her on things she didn't know what to make of; and she decided to fixate on those things rather than concentrating on the cons.

**

4 hours of Rick Riordan, 5 hours of sleep and 2 hours of playing random games later, the plane started to descend its way on the concrete. Brooke took her phone out to make sure she looked at least presentable. Her blonde hair and green eyes suited along with her ivory skin tone didn't completely look like they had endured an eleven hour long flight. Deciding that it was good enough, she got out of the plane and after retrieving her luggage from the Baggage Claim, she walked out of the airport and stood at the curb.

'What now?'

She asked herself and the first sane thought that came to her was to look at the letter again in case she had missed anything. She tried not to give too much attention to that impending feeling of doom and somehow find a way to get to SAMS. After all, her life was only about to change forever. No pressure right?

She squinted her eyes as she put on sun-glasses to protect her from the bright sunshine of Hawaii at 11.00 in the morning. She decided to walk to the bus-stop a few steps ahead of her to get some shade, still reading the letter. Because of that, she bumped into somebody and fell onto the concrete. 

Ouch! 

A flair of curses were heard from the person that she had bumped into after which he spoke normal words again.

"Shit, I am so sorry! I wasn't looking at all and oh, are you hurt? Can I help you with something? I am truly sorry." He continued rambling but finally stopped after Brooke held up her hand.