CHAPTER 14 | THE FLIGHT

Brooke stood awkwardly as Sylvia said goodbye to Ruan and Ayden did the same to his parents

Brooke stood awkwardly as Sylvia said goodbye to Ruan and Ayden did the same to his parents. Seeing that her gran still wasn't feeling very well, she had gone in the early hours of the morning itself to tell her goodbye.

"Take care of yourself for me, will you?" Ruan said to Sylvia as he kissed her forehead one last time – so as not to make the others suspicious – and hugged her.

"I will see you all very soon." She said and smiled, addressing the statement to all of them but looking only at him. Sylvia tried to bury the nagging feeling in the back of her mind as she detached herself from her love. Ruan's eyes clearly depicted just how worried he was for her, but she decided to not pay heed to it for the sake of her own heart. She went and stood next to Brooke after she had hugged Ruan goodbye and waited for Ayden.

"Take care, okay? Remember everything we have taught you and be alert at all times. Do not trust strangers and look out for each other every minute of every day." His dad reminded him probably for the fiftieth time as he joined his companions and got ready to leave. He knew the risk he was taking. His mother and father sat him down one whole night to explain to him just how dangerous this quest was going to be and just how much he was putting at stake, but Ayden simply wouldn't bring himself to back out. He never could let Brooke go on this quest by herself or more importantly without him  accompanying her. He wanted to ensure her safety – he needed to do so.

All of them turned their backs to their friends and family as they walkeddown the hill and got a taxi to the airport. They had already booked their tickets to Italy that same evening, and because of some co-incidence, there was a family of five who had just cancelled their tickets and the three of them got their tickets confirmed. The time their flight left was at 1:11, which according to the council, was a divine number and would mean good luck on their journey. And to be honest, Brooke knew that they could use all the good luck they could get right now, keeping in mind the kind of witch they were up against.

They reached the airport and after passing security, they sat down in the waiting area, having got nothing else to do at the moment. Ayden decided to get some coffee, and so he went to get some. Brooke thought it would probably be good if they all have some coffee so as to stay awake during a journey of over 8,000 miles. So, Ayden went ahead to get one for all of them and they sat and drank in silence.

"Hey, guys, did any of you have this in your back-packs as well?" Brooke questioned as she looked through her back-pack of supplies and finds a thin piece of wood.

"Brooke, put that away!" Ayden whisper shouted at her and she did as told but in a confused state.

"But it's a piece of wood." She voiced her concern, frowning.

"No. It's a magician's staff. It can elongate or reduce into any sort of weapon you want it to be." Sylvia said – who is sitting on the opposite side of Ayden and Brooke – while leaning in and whispering.