CHAPTER 22 | THE HYDRA

As Brooke stood at the foot of the volcano, she felt as if there was more probability of Brooke's heart exploding rather than the volcano itself. She could almost sense that something was wrong. After all, they had faced no trouble whatsoever starting from the minute they boarded the plane to the time they had landed at the airport in The Metropolitan City of Naples, they had faced no problems in terms of demons or otherwise at all. It almost seemed too easy for her to get this far without any bad encounters. After the time they had since they left SAMS, she wasn't used to this.

"Come on let's go. I know the way." Ayden mumbled and he started walking.

"How?"

"Nightmare." He stated simply and shortly before he started walking again. They followed behind him on an abandoned route. The taxi ride had taken them to this historical location which was called the 'Ex Stazione Inferiore della Seggiovia e Funicolare del Vesuvio' which was supposed to mean something like the former lower station of the chair lift and the funicular of Vesuvius or something like that.

This area was concealed with trees and in the middle of the forest, there was a road that had been abandoned long ago. All four of them set afoot on that path, being careful of all the unnecessary stuff that lay on the ground such as branches, fallen leaves, thorns, etc. which had come into presence due to years and years of unattended condition of the road. They came to a stop at the dead-end.

"Where now?" Sylvia said as she looked around.

"I have no idea."

"What do we do?" Ruan said as he too inspected his surroundings. Brooke walked up to the end of the road. She noticed that there was an increased amount of leaves and twigs of trees in that area. She knelt down on her knees and rubbed it off. That is when it appeared. The runic symbol of evil.

"Look what I found." Brooke voiced and the rest of them knelt over to study it.

"That's it. I saw a tunnel sort of thing in my nightmare. That must be it." Brooke still found it all way too easy and there was a nagging thought in her mind that this wasn't what they were expecting it to be but they had no other choice.

"Alright, back up there a little." Ruan said and after all of them were a few feet away from the tunnel entrance, he outstretched his hand and blew up it. A moment of silence. Nothing happened. Then, just as Sylvia took a step forward to take a closer look, there was a huge blast. All four of them got blasted high into the air and fell down on their backs and bums a few seconds later.

Brooke looked up to find a giant foot – no, a giant paw – a few feet away from them. Another one came into view, coming out of the tunnel they had just blasted open, and then another two. Slowly and steadily, the whole body of the demon came into view. A hydra. A seven headed hydra. It's completely blue eyes shining with an evil motive behind them, looked around at the surroundings. All the seven heads had necks the length of a giraffe's and all of them inter-twined with each other in sickeningly thick knots before melting into one single lower body with four legs and a tail as long as the necks that swished about independently of the body.