CHAPTER 4 | THE POWERS WITHIN

The siblings led Brooke out of the building and into an area to the right of the mansion. As the mansion was placed on the edge of a hill, there was a way that led to the road towards the city towards its north foot. The south of the mansion was filled with views of the beach and the ocean beyond. But, on the east foot of the hill, there was a cluster of little buildings while clusters of various types of trees was present on its west. It looked as if someone had picked up a spare forest and planted it here. Standing on the top of the hill, you could see the whole forest and it's width by the luscious tree-tops.

"That's where we're going?" Brooke questioned Ayden.

"Yes."

"Why a forest?"

"I'll explain on the way. Come now." Ayden said as he extended his hand towards her and they walked towards the forest. Once closer, Brooke noticed the patterns on the tree trunks and the branches, along with the sizes as well as shapes of the leaves. They reminded her of a certain tree she had read about.

"Swamp Mahogany."

"Very good. How could you tell?" Althea voiced in an impressed tone which brought a smile to Brooke's face.

"I used to read about trees when I was younger. The branches are red to begin with, which is an obvious giveaway. Add to that, the massive height of the tree itself, the type of leaves – dark and glossy on one side but lighter on the other. That is enough to go by."

"Impressive. You could very well be an earth elementalist." Althea said.

"I guess. So, how do you know what type of elementalist I am?"

"You'll see. We're here." Ayden said as he waved his arms around the surrounding in a circle. Brooke was in awe of what she saw. In this particular clearing, there were no trees that went 30 metres up in the air, so, a patch of sunlight could be seen and the blue sky was visible from the hole as well. In the middle of the clearing was a small pond that was surrounded by a metal fence.

"What's all this?"

"This is where we determine what power you have. Now we begin." Ayden said as he clapped his hands twice. What she saw next surprised Brooke to no degree. Men and women dressed in green from top to bottom, skin and face included, appeared out of nowhere. They had curious yet knowing green eyes and their hair was the colour of the tree trunks – red. The clothes they wore seemed to be woven out of leaves. Their skin was filled with patterns that resembled the venation patterns. There were about 20 of them standing around Brooke and the siblings in a perfectly round circle, all their sights fixed solely on Brooke.

"What's happening?" Brooke questioned, trying her best to keep the judgement and fright out of her voice, but she wouldn't be able to tell because all their faces seem to be unaffected. They kept on smiling at her. It was turning out to be just a wee bit creepy. She didn't realise that she had hidden half of her body behind that of Ayden's. He looked over his shoulder and smiled. Taking hold of her hand, he brought her in front of him and made her stand right in the middle of the circle.