CHAPTER 17 | THE SHADOW DEMON

Brooke watched through the transparent window of the wheel house as Ayden and Sylvia settled down for a few hours and went to sleep. She placed herself on one if the lounge chairs and looked up at the moon. She wondered about what was to come for her next. She wondered that if they had already faced such a handful of problems - and they hadn't even reached Italy yet - then what was to come for the rest of their journey.

After an hour or two or sitting around and looking at random things, she decided to stretch her legs a bit and started to pace the top deck. It was the only place that the demons may or may not be able to enter through. Even though they had placed traps even there, there was fair chance that they could be able to get in because of the open space and what not. That is why they decided that it would be the best to keep watch here. As for the rest of them, there was no way in hell they would be able to walk through without seriously maiming or plainly killing themselves first.

A fair few hours of walking, sitting and keeping alert later, Brooke didn't realise how long it had been since she was keeping watch but when she saw Ayden getting up, she noticed that it was almost morning and the dawn was breaking. There were slivers of bright orange and bright red sunlight peeping through the horizon, making its way to the sky and leaving it in a clear pale blue shade. She kept on glancing at the sunrise when Ayden walked up to her.

"You were supposed to wake me up, Brooks." He said in a raspy voice and Brooke almost squealed when she noticed how different and yet sexy his voice came out when he had just woken up.

"I didn't notice the time." She said and yawned all of a sudden aware of her exhaustion.

"Good morning to you, too." He said and laughed at the look on her face as she rubbed her eyes with her hands balled into fists. The first thought that came to his mind was 'How the hell can she look so gorgeous after literally staying up the whole night and keeping watch?!'

"How far are we?"

"About five hours."

"Go get some sleep. I'll wake you up."

"Umm, no. Not happening." Sylvia said as she came out of the wheel house.

"Syl, why'd you wake up?"

"I'll keep watch. Both of you need to sleep."

"Why do I?! I slept already!" Ayden protested.

"No, you didn't. I saw you, Ayden. Do you want me to prove it?" She said with a slightly sly smirk. Ayden started to blush as he glanced at the confused Brooke and then at Sylvia, before groaning and going back into the wheel house.

"What was going on?"

"Ask your beau."

"He is not my beau, Syl." Brooke whisper shouted at her before sighing, knowing that it was like playing the orchestra in front of a deaf man because Syl would never listen to any of it, she would always do as she pleases.