CHAPTER 6 | THE FEAST

It had been two week since Brooke had arrived at Hawaii, and it had been the most magical time of the year. According to gran, she first needed to get used to the environment first and foremost, understand the world and the magic in the theoretical way, and then start practising magic. But tonight, it wasn't the time for any of that, because tonight was the feast. She had been attending the preparation time in the hall every day and because of that, she was really excited to actually witness the feast in action.

After getting dressed, Brooke headed to the living room of the cottage and heard the voices of Ruan and Sylvia which probably meant that they were already there. Although what she did see when she walked down the stairs was them kissing and laughing in each other's arms. Brooke didn't know what to do in this situation. She just found out about them dating and she didn't know what to do. So, she did the only thing that came to her first. She coughed.

The couple jumped apart and their faces overtook a look of fear. When they saw that it was Brooke, they looked relieved.

"Brooke, come and join us." Sylvia said awkwardly but Brooke stayed still. At that very moment, Ayden walked into the room. He casually came and sat down on the couch, while Brooke still stood there, embarrassed.

"Sit down, Brooke." Ayden said, unable to read the room. Brooke did so but still maintained a distance from the other two.

"When will we be going?" She turned to Ayden, trying desperately to deter the conversation ad lighten the palpable tension in the room.

"As soon as Reva and Althea decide to show up."

"We're here."

As they walked, Brooke fell behind due to her head being up in the clouds. She was brought back to earth when she noticed somebody else walking beside her. It was Ayden.

"What's wrong?"

"Hmm? Oh, nothing."

"You don't like them, do you?"

"Who?"

"My friends." Ayden said as he sighed and Brooke felt bad.

"No, not at all. I really liked all of them. It's just, I cannot open up to people that quickly."

"But you opened up to me alright at the airport!"

"Well..." Brooke tried to come up with an excuse but failed to do so and flushed instead. She took a peek up to look at Ayden's face and when he saw the look on Brooke's face, he went quiet with nothing but a small smile on his face.

"Are you excited about tonight? You're practically going to be introduced to everybody that lives here."

"I am a little bit nervous, but mostly out of anticipation. I am surprised how well I am taking all of this. I guess the way I never fit in at any place I ever went, this feels –"