CHAPTER 28 | THE FINAL BATTLE

Brooke had had a good and clear idea that fighting Morana was going to be no small feat. She knew that the witch was at least sixty years old and therefore, clearly had a lot more power than Brooke did. But, thankfully for her, Ayden was fighting along-side her. Brooke had come to find out that having an empathy link with Cordelia was doing her good to some degree, because as much as it hurt when she struck at Morana, she was able to judge what her next move was going to be to a good extent, and hence, was able to deflect most of them.

Good news, Ayden and she were working in full harmony and Sylvia was still hidden, probably trying to think up of a strategy that would surprise and distract Morana.

Bad news, Morana was too good for her own good and even with the two of them in battle, she was starting to slightly gain the upper hand at it.

One strike was all it was going to take. The battle was going completely head to head. As soon as Morana struck once, Ayden and Brooke shot back with twice the amount, and thanks to a few lucky shots aimed at the right place, it looked like Morana was going weaker, but it was still obvious that she was nowhere near giving up on the fight. Brooke's anxiety was increasing with every strike, but one unfortunate one did it all.

Morana called onto the wind and the blow came, Brooke somehow couldn't deflect it and faced the full blow of it. She flew back at least by ten feet and her back crashed against a tree trunk with so dangerous a blow, she collapsed onto the ground immediately. The tree trunk groaned because of the blow and was visibly tilted at an odd angle owing to the same.

Ayden looked back in shock. He saw how Brooke's head collided with the tree trunk and how she immediately slipped away from consciousness. He knew that it was bad, but he could do nothing about it in the moment. Looking back, she saw the Cordelia was crouched onto the floor. She was curled into a ball and screaming. A moment later, a black, hooded figure shimmered into existence next to her. The hood fell off along with the giant cape and her face was visible. Morana.

Her features resembled that of Maleficent according to Ayden. Her face and arms were so thin and pale, they looked almost white instead of the normal skin colour. Her eyes were dark, dark black and they had sunken into their eye pockets. Her hair was slicked back as if it had been set into place after putting in a gallon of oil, and it had been cut into a pixie cut.

"Well, you're quite the good looking man, Ayden, now, aren't you?" Ayden's face hardened and his features stiffened up. He lifted up his magician's staff and got into stance.

"I prefer no small talk before I kill you, thank you very much." He said and willed the staff to turn into a long wooden stick of about five feet. Morana smiled again.

The next instant, the uproar of hitting spells at each other and slyly deflecting it started. Now being the sole opponent to Morana, Ayden was losing very easily and quickly. He was trying his best to hold his stance and try to keep Morana away from Brooke, because he was sure that was what she was looking for. She kept advancing towards Ayden, forcing him to retreat further and further back. He could judge very easily that she was trying to get near to Brooke and make sure she was dead. He knew it was a bad decision before he even put it into execution, but he had to do it. He had to look back and see where he stood, how farther from Brooke he stood, so as to be able to formulate his next course of action.

His magical resources were getting exhausted by the second and he had to do something to make sure that Brooke was safe. He used up a significant part of his magical energy and deflected and threw back a powerful spell towards Morana at the same time. This caused her to slightly lose her footing a little and he chose that moment to look back at Brooke. He was standing too close to her for his liking, but before he could turn back, he felt a sharp jolt of electricity on his back and it ran through his whole body. He fell down on his knees and looked over his shoulder.

Morana too, seemed to suddenly be very weak and Sylvia was standing a few feet behind her. She held in her hands, a makeshift puppet in her hand which resembled Morana. He now understood what she had been doing. Sympathetic magic. It was one of the most advanced forms of magic that they learned at SAMS, mainly because it tended to take up a huge chunk of your energy. Morana, on the other hand had no clue that she was going to get a hit of it soon, because she still seemed to be down from the effect of Ayden's spell.

He looked back to see Brooke's eyes open.

"Get out of the way." Came a weak voice of Brooke in his mind and he did as he was said. He knew what she was going to do, but he was worried that it would take out all of her. It already couldn't have been easy to even sit up properly, much less be able to cast a spell in this situation. He was worried for her. He was easily able to make out just low she was running on her magical reservoir from the look in her eyes and the paleness of her face. But he also knew that this was what she was supposed to do. This was her battle, her quest and it was her and only her who was going to have to put an end to it. Morana's battle was with her, not Ayden, not Sylvia, her.

He slyly laid back and moved out of the way from Brooke and just as Morana looked up and registered the shock that Brooke wasn't passed out and that her eyes were burning with unsaid fury towards her nemesis, Brooke gave way to a final jolt. She fisted her hands and at that second, where Morana stood, a huge geyser of gushed out from beneath her feet and enveloped her in a ball of water.

Brooke watched as the ball of water encased Morana like an outer shell. She saw her writhing inside it, struggling to catch a breath even. As she held up one arm of hers to make sure she didn't lose grip of the water, she squeezed her fists even tighter, causing Morana to suffocate. She could feel her life forces giving up by the sheer effort of the action and the exhaustion that came from it, but she didn't give up. In her peripheral vision, she saw Sylvia and Ayden helping pick up and rest Cordelia to safety and nodded at Sylvia in gratitude as she passed her the puppet Morana.

By this point, Brooke was standing on her feet without losing her footing owing to the adrenaline coursing through her body. She grabbed hold of the puppet and casting the spell that bound it and her nemesis together, she took a split second decision and transferred the puppet from her right arm to her left – the one that had been balled into a fist.

As soon as she did so, Morana's body started writhing with and even greater intensity. When Brooke had opened her fist to grab hold of the puppet, Morana's face had emerged out of the ball of water and now, as she squeezed the life out of her – literally – she could hear her murderous screams.

"Tick-tock, your time's up." She said, her voice awfully calm and for the final time, said the word that would put an end to all of this, once and for all.

"Contreo." (Crush)

Morana's screams all of a sudden quietened down and there was pin drop silence in the surroundings.

"You did it." Sylvia exclaimed with both her voice and her face full of part shock and part relief. Brooke turned to face her and Ayden.

"We did it." But before she could revel in the happiness of the notion even a tad bit, her knees buckled, her legs turned into noodles, and she slipped away from consciousness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THIS IS IT, YOU GUYS!!!!! THE BATTLE IS FINISHED. WE WON!!!!!

ONLY ONE MORE CHAPTER - THE EPILOGUE LEFT TO THIS BOOK AND THEN, THAT'S THAT!

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO STUCK TILL THE END OF THIS AND ACCOMPANIED OUR BELOVED MAGICIANS ON THEIR JOURNEY!!!!!!! I LOVE AND APPRECIATE EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU.

TELL YOUR THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS IN THE COMMENT SECTION AND MAKE SURE YOU CLICK ON THAT STAR IF YOU LIKED READING THE CHAPTER.

I HOPE EVERYONE IS HAVING A GREAT DAY. STAY SAFE AND KEEP ON SMILING.

PEACE OUT!

~Tii <3