CHAPTER 12 | THE SPELL

"Hey guys." Brooke murmurs to her friends as she walks into the cottage and sits down with them, next to Ayden.

"Hey, how did the talk with the nature spirit go?" Ayden questions and she looks at him and smiles.

"It went really well. She told me a lot of things. Apparently, I am up against one mean bitch, but she won't tell who until the council meeting tomorrow evening." She says, looking at all of them and trying to decipher as to what they might be thinking.

"Right, what about the companions?" Ruan questions and Brooke takes a deep breath before looking at all of them. This was the tough part, and somehow she knew that Ruan would not be comfortable with the answer. He knew how much he adored Sylvia and it pained her heart to be the bearer of this news.

"Fire and Metal." She looks at all of them in turn once again. Ayden has a look on his face which shows that he is deep in his thoughts, and Sylvia also looks as if she is pondering really hard over something. By this point, Ruan was like a brother to Brooke and he looking positively pained when he heard the news. Brooke couldn't even imagine what he must be feeling like – or even how Ayden and Sylvia was feeling like – and she felt guilty asking them of this.

"Guys, I understand if you don't want to come. I cannot ask that from you, I mean, it's really something very serious." At this, Sylvia snaps out of her thoughts and looks up at Brooke.

"Are you mad? Of course I am coming with you. I have got the chance to protect our kind – for the first time – and if I could do that while helping a friend out, there is nothing better."

"Yes, but Syl, the spirit clearly told me that this was going to be very challenging. If something were to happen to you, I couldn't do that to you... or to any of you guys." She says addressing all of them, but looks only at Ruan while saying it. Their relationship is still a secret and Brooke wasn't going to mess that up by saying the wrong thing.

"No, but Sylvia is right. She has to go. So does Ayden. This is your chance, to prove you are worthy. But, moreover to show the witch out there that we are not just any random kids she can go around threatening or kidnapping and shit. You guys have to do this." He says and looks directly at me and Sylvia and Ayden.

"Ayden?"

"Yeah, sorry, what?"

"Are you sure you wanna come? I am not pressuring you into anything. You can take your time to think it out as well." Brooke didn't know what to expect as Ayden's response, but she surely didn't expect to hear him laugh. Her eyebrows bunched together as she frowned, confused as to what made him laugh in this situation.

"Brooke, I never had to think about that. I am coming with you, without a doubt. I was thinking how to make out the plan and lay everything down. We basically have nothing here to go with."