【51】No More Secrets

Straightening up in the bed, I watched as Lex came in with cautious steps

Straightening up in the bed, I watched as Lex came in with cautious steps. He was carrying a plastic bag full of containers, and soon enough the smell of Chinese food came to me. Not only was he here, but he'd also brought me food. The man truly was perfect.

"Hi," he greeted me, awkwardly standing a few feet away from my bed.

"Hi... You came."

"You didn't answer, so I worried and I decided to come. I just wanted to check on you, I know you need some time alone." Looking down at the bag he held, he looked slightly embarrassed for a moment. "I don't know if you've had dinner already. I stopped on my way here and got a few things, in case you hadn't. I know food can be comforting and reassuring."

"I haven't, no. Thank you."

His worried gaze met mine again. "Have you eaten anything at all today?" I shook my head, and he frowned, apparently disapproving. "You need to eat. I'll leave this in the kitchen for you guys. I'm... I'm glad you're doing better."

"You're not staying?"

"I don't want to impose. I just wanted to check on you."

"You're not imposing, please stay," I insisted. "I just need a minute in the bathroom, and I'll be right there with you."

Trying to not look like a disgraceful sack of potatoes, I got out of the bed, passing by him to go to the bathroom. He followed me in the living area and went to the kitchen while I locked myself in the bathroom. A quick look in the mirror confirmed my suspicions, and I grimaced seeing how much of a mess I was. My eyes were red, as was my nose, my hair was a mess, and there was something sad lingering in my eyes.

Splashing some cold water on my face, I rinsed away the paleness of my skin. I tied my hair in a vague bun, brushed my teeth, then stared at myself in the mirror for a moment, trying to find some courage. Kate had been right, I was worrying for nothing. We were good for now, and we might be good for the future too. I could do everything I could to keep making it work and improve in whatever way I could, so Lex would always love me.

He was exchanging with Tammy when I came out, the boxes of takeout displayed and waiting on the counter. They both turned to me when I joined them, and I forced a small smile on my face.

Dinner was relatively silent, an awkward tension lingering in the air. I'd abandoned Lex in the middle of the night, on his birthday, and the guilt was sitting heavily on my chest. Despite my awful attitude all day long, he'd decided to come to see me, and it was making me feel even worse. I didn't deserve him.

I wasn't feeling any better by the time we finished eating, and I wasn't sure how to break the icy atmosphere. We all cleaned up, Tammy and Lex to the dishes while I wiped the counter and put the few leftovers in the fridge. Once done, she left us and we stood in the middle of the kitchen, not sure what to say to each other.

"I guess I should go," Lex eventually said, speaking first. My heart tightened, something in me refusing to let him leave. I'd already robbed us of last night, I didn't want to miss tonight too.