【54】Before Anyone Else

Surprisingly, the mother of all headaches I was expecting to wake up to turned out to be a mild one

Surprisingly, the mother of all headaches I was expecting to wake up to turned out to be a mild one. Thanks to me throwing up everything, and Lex forcing me to drink a lot of water, it was far from being as bad as expected.

Still, it wasn't a good way to start the day -or the afternoon, given the hour. Finding a glass of water and a tablet of aspirins on my nightstand definitely helped lessen the blow.

For about half an hour, I stayed in Lex's bed, remembering everything that had happened the night before. I'd met Evora, which had been unexpected, short, and honestly embarrassing given my horrible reaction. Then Lex and I had talked for a while, he'd even mentioned me being his wife at some point. Then he'd taken gentle care of me before putting me to bed, his hand lovingly grazing my hair until I fell into a dreamless slumber.

Lingering under the safety of the covers, I thought about what had been said and decided, the overall impression of it sitting wrong in my mind. Thinking of the same situation happening to others, I realized it looked bad. Very bad.

Relationships with my exes hadn't resulted in friendships, but if I met one of them and their girlfriends insisted that I was a problem that needed to be rid of, I would think of those women as crazy and ridiculous, and my exes as weak and pathetic.

I didn't want us to become this. I didn't want to be the psycho girlfriend, and Lex the overindulging boyfriend. We were better than that, and I refused to let us stoop so low.

When the courage to leave the bed finally came, I did a quick stop by the bathroom to freshen up. Wrapping myself in a warm blanket that was neatly folded on the armchair, I made my way out of the room, in search of Lex.

Expecting to find him in his study, I was surprised to spot him sitting on the couch in the living area, with his laptop on his knees. Without a word, I made my way to him, still wrapped like a burrito. He spotted me in the corner of his eye, and as I reached him, he settled his laptop on the table before him.

"Hi," I mumbled, clumsily laying on the couch, resting my head on his lap.

"Hi."

Looking down at me with something sweet in his eyes, he caressed my cheek with his thumb, his gorgeous face and sexy glasses so familiar and comforting. He settled a hand over my sternum, which I covered with one of mine, and with his other one, he gently massaged my scalp, chasing the remnants of my headache away.

"So, I was thinking," I started, hoping I would make sense. "I really can't expect you to cut all ties with her. It's just wrong."

"You don't have to expect it, I'm doing it of my own volition."

"But it's still wrong. You shouldn't have to choose between her and me. I want to believe we're stronger than this."

"So what do we do? I don't want something like yesterday to happen again."