chapter 44

Chapter 44: "The few hours I spend with you are worth the thousand hours I spend without you."

Ian Kenshin Illustre: I'm busy.

I sighed as I read his response to my message. We haven't videocalled for three days! We just talk through chat lately, and it drives me nuts! I miss him so much. Walang gana na pumunta ako sa room ni DJ para ibigay ang gamot niya. Malamya ko siyang binati.

"If that's your way of making me guilty for not giving in to your request, then it's not gonna work," he said nonchalantly.

I've already told him about my deal with Maya, and he downright said no. Ilang araw ko na siyang kinukulit pero matigas talaga siya. 

"It's fine. Sanay naman ako na sinusungitan ni Maya. Kaya hindi na kita kukulitin kung ayaw mo talaga." I sighed.

His forehead creased as he looked at me. "Then what the heck is up with you?"

I groaned and and sat on the chair beside his bed. "I miss my husband. He's always busy," he said with a sigh.

He scoffed. "Maybe he's found someone tame and less talkative than you."

My eyes widened. "Hoy! Knock on the woods! Bawiin mo iyong sinabi mo," I said, shaking his shoulder.

"It was just a joke. Geez. You're too noisy!" Muli akong napabuntong hininga. "Seriously, what do you think of my room? A place where you can hang out?"

Isang walang ganang tingin lang ang ibinigay ko sa kanya. "Aalis na nga. Ang sungit." Tumayo na ako at tumalikod para tumungo sa pinto.

"Hey." Nilingon ko siya. "Maybe he's just really busy. As you've said he's doing his internship in the US."

Tipid akong ngumiti at tumango. The next day, kinulit na ako ni Maya sa ipinangako ko sa kanya. I had no choice but to tell the truth. Nalukot ang mukha niya sa narinig.

"I knew it!" She breathed out harshly and glared at me. "You said you could do it. I shouldn't have trusted you!"

I pouted and leaned against the wall. "Bakit kase kailangan na si DJ pa? Malala pa iyong topak ng taong iyon sa'yo. Saka maganda naman ang ate Cassy mo. Hindi naman mukhang kailangan niya ng tulong mo para makahanap ng boyfriend."

She rolled her eyes. "Don't you understand? I like that guy for my ate." She breathed out. "I just wanna do something for her before I die," mahinang dugtong niya.

Napatingin ako sa kanya. "You have a big chance of surviving, Maya. If only you'd agree to the operation."

Tumigas ang mukha niya. "They told me the same thing when I was young. Gumaling nga ako pero bumalik naman. Ayoko ng maoperahan. I'm tired. Sawang-sawa na ako sa pagte-take ng maraming gamot every single freakin' day! If I'm gonna die, then just so be it!"

"Maya.." 

Bitterness crossed her eyes. "You have no idea what it's like to be in my place."

I stared into space and thought about Maya's condition. I really feel bad for her. Bata pa lang siya ay nagkaroon na siya ng brain cancer, but she survived it. The tumor was removed successfully. But years later, it came back. 

Before going home, I dropped by the mall for some stuff Mama She asked me to buy. I was about to leave when I passed by a store, and a certain angel lighted snow globe water lamp caught my attention. I went inside and bought it, thinking it'd be perfect in our bedroom.