Chapter 46

Chapter 46: "And when you're needing your space to do some navigating, I'll be here patiently waiting to see what you find." (I Won't Give Up) Jason Mraz

"It's marvelous," I uttered as I looked around our newly built house. 

It took years before we finally had it built. One of the reasons is due to the fact that Shin was in the USA most of the time completing his internship later on his residency. Truth be told, we had a fight over his decision four years ago to have his residency abroad. Originally, he was supposed to just take his internship there. 

One night, we had a serious talk about his decision. He explained that he wanted to be trained under the best neuro surgeon in the USA. What made me realize the full significance of his decision was his answer to my why. 

"There are a lot of great neuro surgeons here! Bakit kailangan lumayo ka pa?"

He looked into my eye and said, "So that I could learn more and have a higher chance of saving the other Mayas out there."

His answer brought it home. Mabigat man sa dibdib ay pumayag ako. How could I not when it was for the greater good. Sumama ako sa kanya ng bumalik siya sa US. Frankly, it crossed my mind to stay with him there and just renew my visa once it expires. The thought of being apart from him for several years more was unbearable. 

But one day, when I visited him at the hospital and saw him saving lives while I, on the other hand, was being selfish and contemplating on procrastinating the promise I made which is to be the best nurse. 

"Do you wanna stay here with me?"

I was tempted to say 'yes', but I knew I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I chose to be immature and selfish. I swallowed hard and toughened myself as I shook my head. "Babalik na ako ng Pilipinas."

His lips curved into a genuine smile and pressed my hand gently. He didn't have to say it out loud because I could see it in his eyes; he's proud of me.

I wouldn't lie and say that my decision was easy 'cause it's not. I have to spend some important occasions without him by my side. There are times when it gets so tough and I miss him so bad. There are days when I cry. 

So, no. It's not okay. It would never be. But having said that, I know why we have to sacrifice and all I could do each time is to take a deep breath and pray to God; ask for more strength. I also devoted my time fulfilling my duty as a nurse. 

I had volunteered at a public hospital for a year before I decided to move to the private hospital where I had my practical training. 

"Finally. Our very own house." Niyakap niya ako buhat sa likod. "Do you like it?"

I nodded. "Sobra-sobra. I love how cozy it looks."

While our house was being constructed, we were both very involved especially Shin; he was very meticulous with every little detail of the house. We want it to be as homey as possible.

 We want it to be as homey as possible