CHAPTER 48:Dorsen's Reflection

My name is Dorsen Katabelia. I am the son of Druna Katabelia, the current Knight Captain. Since I was young, my father gave me lessons on martial arts. He told me that since I'd be protecting the royal family some day I'd need it. I took pride in those words. Whenever we began lessons, I worked as hard as I could. I was so committed to my martial arts studies that when I had to join the academy, I saw it more as a bother than a beneficial experience. I'd have rather stayed home and studied under the active-duty knights than go to school and learn. But since I was to be the heir, I had no choice but to go.

Since I was rather quiet to begin with, I had a great deal of trouble blending in. I often thought that it was useless to go to the academy after all. Then one day, I met a rather peculiar girl. She introduced herself as Yuri Noir, the daughter of Baron Noir. I met her while I was practicing alone at the training grounds. Since not many people use the training grounds at the academy, I found myself coming here every day to raise my skills.

"Impressive-"

That was the first thing she said to me.

"...What is?"

"Ah, my apologies. I come here almost every day, and see you come here every day. I always wondered what you were doing."

"The back of the building?"

If I remember correctly, the back of the building has a flower field. But since no one ever goes there there should be a lot of weeds.

"Yes. The flower field. Since its no one uses it, I figured I'd grow some flowers. Of course, I've gotten permission from the academy, though."

"Don't look so surprised. I won't go reporting to the school anyways."

"Ah... I hadn't thought about that possibility. No, that's not what I intended. I meant that it's pretty weird for a lady to be messing around in the dirt right? That's why I'd be happy if you didn't spread that around too much"

"It's not like you're being a nuisance to others right? I won't say anything about it."

"That's great. And so what are you doing everyday?"

"Can't you tell?"

"I can see that you're training...but I can't see for what reason. Considering that you're already taking a Military Martial Arts class, it's weird."

Military Martial Arts is considered an elective class, and a lot of people with an affiliation to the Order take it. If not, it could be people who want to learn self-defense, or sons who have no chance of inheritance and therefore need to join the Order.

"I'm not training to supplement my classes."

"Is that so?"

"Yes. As a matter of fact, I've been training so I can offer my services to the royalty."

The girl, who had been blank-faced before, giggled.

"That's a lovely ideal. If I was protected by someone with such strong ideals, I would have no worries."

I'd remember that smile and laugh for a while.. After that occurrence, she began to sometimes drop in and watch me practice. Since I'd be training, our conversations were rather frank. At first I ignored her presence, but after a while I began to look forward to the time she'd appear. She commonly praised what I thought was the norm, and said that it was amazing or impressive. Those very words became my motivation and my training eventually picked up pace. I also began to think that my sword was not only for the royal family's but that it would also be for her.

By the time I realized I fell for her, she had become engaged to the Edward, the second prince. I felt dejected at first, but I still felt that I needed to protect her. I kept these feelings, and eventually contradictions between my belief and fate began to appear. When I noticed these changes, I calmed down a bit and pledged that I'd protect her to the best of my ability.