CHAPTER 115: Reserved

"Teacher Minae–"

I was in the middle of preparing dinner, but these four children burst into the kitchen.

"It's dangerous here, children. Didn't I tell you to tell your teacher before you came in?"

"Sorry..."

All of them were staring at the floor, looking remorseful. I hurriedly bottled up my anger and stopped what I was working on to face them.

"Is there anything you want from me?"

"Um, Miss Iris is here."

"What?"

Their answer scared me, to the point that I couldn't help but shout. Seeing how unnatural I was acting, the children started to look a bit confused.

"Le–no, Miss Iris is here? Are you sure?"

I needed to hurry and prepare tea...although that was what I wanted to do, we didn't have any left and there wasn't enough time to go and buy more. Plus, I had decided that we needed to be more frugal before the next donation came.

"A-all in all, we need to go out and welcome her..."

"Apologies for the disturbance!"

Yep, that was Tanya's voice. There was nothing else I could do but walk toward the entrance. Although I did not look presentable enough to meet her, it was even more impolite to keep her waiting.

"W-welcome...I...Lady Iris, Miss Tanya."

Although it was only a short way, because I had run over and because of how nervous I was, I felt that I could barely breathe.

The sight of Lady Iris filled me with a strange feeling. She seemed slimmer than I remembered, and her skin was even paler than pale, almost to the degree of translucence.

"Don't be so nervous, Minae. I'm just a normal friend coming to her friend's house to have some fun."

Lady Iris's stunning words disarmed me, and I spoke once again immediately.

"...friend?"

"Oh yes. Isn't that what everyone else thinks as well?"

"Miss Iris, what are we going to play today?"

"Hey, hey, Miss Iris, I can read now!"

"Miss Iris said she was going to play with me!"

These kids...they were surrounding her with smiles on their face, speaking whatever came to their minds.

But this didn't seem to bother her at all. In fact, her smile seemed quite genuinely happy.

"Haha...that's true, we did make a promise. Then let's play a new game before we start reading!"

The children cheered, taking Lady Iris's hand to prepare to play a game.

These kids...how could they talk to a lady like that? It seemed like it was too late for me to stop them.

Lady Iris was of noble blood, and was a substitute leader...I had kept these secrets from the children. Even if I asked them now to be less impolite to her, they probably wouldn't obey if I couldn't give them a reason for it.

"To me, Minae, you and these children are important friends. Your attitude is making me sad...as a matter of fact, you're blocking the way!"

Just like that, she was already playing games with the children. When she passed by me she didn't forget to joke with me.

Iris seemed to be setting the kids up as thieves, while she chased them around the room.

And she was a noble...although the scene before my eyes was a bit shocking, I still watched them quietly. The maid next to me also watched on, with a protective look. She was surprised too, but still smiled.