[34]

Life Of Jiji

All Rights Reserved

©2021 Tena Ifiemi

####

airplane mode - fireboy dml

let me love the lonely - james arthur

####

SϾHФФŁ ШΛS HΞϾТłϾ. The dreadful exams had just ended and although I was grateful for a means to escape my thoughts, it was very stressful. Sometimes, I'd open my question paper and wonder if the teacher ever even taught us anything like that. Everybody was deep in Christmas Carol and Drama preparations now and with the D day of the play being tomorrow and with me being Mary, there was no time for anything else.

Mr Zaki ended up picking Richard for Joseph's character and although I was rooting for Damian, I really couldn't blame him; Damian was really out of it. I was kind of grateful because at least I don't have to worry about the loud tension between us now that we didn't have to act together anymore. He didn't even seem angry when Mr Zaki chose Richard. He might have even been relieved.

It kinda hurt that Damian and I haven't had a conversation in like, forever. It wasn't like we were beefing or anything but after that day, things were just awkward and neither of us made a move to talk to the other since.

Reya's birthday came and went. It was fun and really eventful. Her friends still managed to surprise her, even though she was insistent on planning her party by herself. My mom really outdid herself on the funding. She baked an amazing cake for Reya and it was blue and white; her favorite colours. There was balloons, confetti, a whole load of gifts and letters from her classmates that made my sister cry as well as a recorded message from my parents.

The party was exclusively for Year 12s but me and Khadijah managed to snag invites. I had to endure watching Mitchel deliver a sickly romantic speech to Reya and then proceed to kissing her. Okay, maybe I only thought it was sickly because this was Mitchel, my second closest male friend we're talking about but did they really have to kiss in front of me?

"Hey Mary where's your mind at? ACTION!" Mr Zaki shouted with a clap and I put one hand around Richard's neck and the other at my back to support my fake pregnancy as he led me on stage. We've been rehearsing with our costumes for the past two days.

"Joseph," I spoke into my mic, "Do we seriously have to go to Bethlehem? I'm almost due and I can barely walk." I complained as Mary.

"Yes sweetheart, it's for the census. Of course we have to go. Sit here let me get our things, we're taking the Beamer."

I nearly laughed at this. They shouldn't have let Mr Zaki construct these lines.

I smile at Joseph, sorry, Richard as he goes before saying, "Such a successful carpenter." Just like my script says I must.

"And so, Mary and Joseph drive off to Bethlehem in his 2019 model BMW for the census." The narrator said and I could see Mr Zaki break into a grin, very proud of his cocky line before shouting,

"AND SCENE!"

When I got down from the stage, Hadiza, Zainab's little sister attacked me,

"Senior Ejiro, can I get your autograph please."

"Hadiza leave me alone." I laughed, "You ask everyday!"

"Only because you're my role model." She smiled.

"Sure." I eyed her skeptically, "What do you want?"

"Why is Senior Damian always looking at you?" She asked with an innocent smile, but I knew better.