[48]

Life Of Jiji

All Rights Reserved

©2022 Tena Ifiemi

####

telepatia - kali uchis

interference - tems ♪

####

I just paid for the gift box that Khadi found on Instagram. I think its the most perfect gift. There's a pair of Nike slides, there's a sports water bottle, a customized basketball jersey top with BRIGGS written at the back and a tin of chocolate chip cookies. They say it'll be here on the 29th. I just pray it'll be early.

Damian's birthday is just one of the things on the long list of things there is to worry about though. There is inter house sports, there's prefectship elections, there's IGCSEs and we can't forget school exams either. But maybe the stress is good for me, because with all these other stuff on my mind, there's no space for my uncle to show up in my dreams.

"Hey rich girl."

"Khadijah, stop calling me that."

"You just spent 52k on top a man's head and you guys are not even dating. You're now my mentor, my master, my queen."

I burst out laughing at her choice of words, my stomach muscles protesting, "So now we're not dating? Weren't you always calling him my boyfriend?"

She shrugs, "Was hoping you'd come to your senses but you haven't so let me indulge you." She says before biting into her egg roll.

I roll my eyes. Egg roll isn't even something to fawn over.

"And its 50k, Khadi." I remind her, "Not 52."

"I added delivery fee."

"Senior Ejiro, Ms Margaret has sent me to get you."

"Who is that fly? See your mouth like 'get you', awon policeman. Did you knock?"

"Senior, its break time."

"And so, if I—" Khadi made a threatening gesture, halting her words when I leaned in and whispered to her,

"Khadi, you're an aspiring prefect."

She straightened up and looked at the poor junior, "She has heard, leave my class."

The boy scurried off and I shake my head at Khadi, "It's not even your class."

"Ejiro, what are you doing for your house?"

"Pardon?"

"The inter house sports." She clarified, already sounding impatient, "What role have you taken up in the sports?"

I stutter, "N-none ma."

"Why?"

"I'm not very good at sports ma."

"That's not quite true. You won the race during our last class."

"It was a tie."

"A tie for first place nevertheless." She pushed herself back from her swivel chair before getting up, "Come on, we're going to the tracks."

"But ma..." I scurried after her, seeing that she was already in a sportswear and trainers. "Break is almost over. I'll have a class soon."

"I have the Principal's permission. Come on, the others are there already."

Luckily for me, I had decided to wear pantyhose instead of stockings today but it didn't make me feel less silly since I had to wear running shoes with my school uniform. And it definitely didn't help that the first person that I saw when we got to the tracks was none other than Damian S. Briggs.