[37]

Life Of Jiji

All Rights Reserved

2021 ©Tena Ifiemi

####

Within minutes, the house was filled with mom and Reya's excited screams and I tried to curb my embarrassment when Muna came out of his room to enquire about the commotion. Apparently, my older brother, TJ decided to surprise us by showing up unannounced for the holidays.

Everyone was so excited, Dad was laughing and clapping him on the back and I couldn't help smiling as well. TJ looked so much older and I didn't know if it was because I'd not seen him for a long time or because he had grown a small beard.

Maybe both?

I had to go through the weird ordeal of having mom explain to TJ about Muna and Grace with Muna standing right there. After the explanation, TJ and Muna did a weird bro handshake/hug before he turned to me with a huge smile as he beckoned me to him,

"Won't you give me a hug?" He asked while I stood there, dazed.

I gestured to myself as if to ask, 'Me?' But TJ just gave me a 'don't be silly look' and beckoned to me again. When I went in for the side hug, he tapped my head and said,

"The only member of the family that doesn't call me." Then he turned to the rest of the room, "You'd think she didn't miss me, am I right?" He added with his charming TJ smile, I thought mom might swoon.

"TJ, my baby boy, you've made me so happy." My mom voiced out what her face had already been screaming, "We should all eat out for dinner today. I'm just so, so happy, I hope you're not too tired." She stated and TJ shook his head.

I decided that even if TJ was tired he wouldn't have said so, Mom was too happy to have the source of her joy put a damper on it. Mom was beaming so much, I was afraid that she might start bouncing on her heels.

"Hey, I'm not meant to join in on this, am I?" Muna whispered after surprisingly tapping on my shoulder. "Because I'm not exactly sure I want to leave the house at all just yet..." He trailed off as Mom turned to us, making it very obvious that she had heard. It was only the three of us in the kitchen after all, as the others had left to prepare for this evening.

"I'd love you to come, dear. But I don't want to make you feel like you have to come with us when you might not want to. I totally—"

"Oh, cool then. I definitely don't feel like an outing." He said in his casual, laid-back way that usually left us anxious, and then he walked out.

I glanced at mom just in time to see her pull at her hair frustratedly and then smile immediately she caught my eye.

"I made this coconut cake yesterday." She told me, "You wanna try?" She brought out the platter from the fridge and when she offered me a slice, I felt a chill run through my back.

"Mummy, you know I don't eat coconut." I hesitated, "I never have."

Mom stared at me for a few seconds before her glossed lips formed into a small 'o'. "Right! Right, my mind was not even here. I definitely knew that... I'll... I'll bake another cake for you." She stuttered and made a brief fleet around the room with her eyes, before leaving.

"I don't... I didn't ask for a cake." I whispered after her.

Frankly speaking, I miss the times when I was the only one with a problem. It's obvious there is something up with my mom and its stressing the hell out of me. Mom know I don't eat coconut, I'm practically allergic! I mean, it's not like I could suffocate and die if I eat it but my throat gets really dry and itchy which is also bad.