eat the turtles and save the rich

Chapter 54. Eat the turtles and save the rich

It had been two and a half weeks since I told Axel how I felt. 

Ever since then he started taking me to school and home from practice. He even came over and watched a Novela with my grandma, Miguel, and I.

I wake up from the sound of Miguel and Jack banging on my door before kicking it open.

I groan as pull my pillow over my face at their screaming.

"Wake up wake up!" They holler as they pull my blankets off. Before I can form a coherent response they are singing feliz compleanos

Excuse me.

"Happy 18th mi bonita, te amo mucho!" My grandma announces as he also barges in my room and hugs me.

"Finally legal, you can vote!" Miguel squeals and Jack snorts, "Yeah and buy us lottery tickets."

"Get out of here, I let you sing now go get ready for the day," My grandma shoes them out and I finally am awake enough to sit up.

"Get ready! We are going to get lunch at Rosa's," My grandma states matter of fact and I check my phone to see my usual thirty texts from Amber and Olly. To my dismay there's none from them.

It was only 9:32 a.m. on a Saturday, I'm sure they didn't forget.

I didn't have a text from Axel either.

"That's like a two hour drive right grandma?" I ask and she nods, "We'll leave once you all are ready," she notes before exiting my room.

I roll out of bed and stumble to my window to open it. The warm spring air caress me as well as the sweet smell of blooming flowers.

I curiously knock on Axel's window but to my dismay he's not there.

I decide to shower and slip on a pair loose baggy black jeans and a fitted olive green shirt and walk out to the kitchen. I immediately notice my grandma cringe at my outfit before clearing her throat, "You are going to wear that mija?" She asks and I nod pouring myself a cup of coffee, "Is this okay?"

She nods and I pour creamer before I take my cup back to my room.

Before I can even begin to mousse up my hair I'm receiving a face time call from Amber and Olly.

"Hey!" I chirp and they both scream "Happy birthday" in sync.

"Thank you!" 

"Okay so me you and Olly are hanging out once you get back from Rosa's, it's gonna be small, just us, but you have to dress nice."

"Did... did my grandma tell you what I was wearing?" I feel the betrayal as Amber's eye widen.

"No! I just thou-" Before Amber can finish Olly chimes in, "Yes she did, do better Carolina."

"Hey! It's my birthday, you can't talk to me like that," I state, squinting at Olly who grins back, "It's all love."

"What are we going to do later," I wonder and Amber chirps, "We're just going to watch movies and drive around."

I decide to not question why they want me to dress nice and instead agree before we all hang up.

I change out of my previous outfit and into my long sleeve fitted black mesh dress. I slip on my torn nylons and combat boots.

For some strange reason I feel like doing my whole face of makeup. Thankfully for Amber, I learned how to do it somewhat. 

I rub primer on my face before putting on some foundation and concealer.