how am i going to survive this spring break?

Chapter 42. How am I going to survive this spring break?

"Oh hey Carolina." Grayson coughs as the first to break the silence.

I feel my stomach drop so suddenly it hurts as Axel stares at me blankly.

My eyes immediately tear from his as I quickly pace from out of the bathroom and down the hallway. I chew my lip so hard I think I might draw blood as I skip down the stairs.

My eyes are frantically searching for Olly or Amber as I pace down stairs.

"Hey Carolina!" Nolan greets me as he walks by, "H-hi have you seen Olly or Amber anywhere?" I ask trying to keep my voice as steady as possible.

"I think I saw Amber outside maybe twenty minutes ago? She might not be out there anymore though."

"Thanks." I mutter as I tread toward the door and outside. The black of the night engrosses me as I walk towards the driveway.

To my dismay no one is outside anymore but more cars have shown up since we arrived.

I reach for my pocket again completely forgetting that I don't have my phone. I feel the urge to scream as I spin around to enter the house again.

I quickly stop in my tracks as the door slowly creaks open and out walks Axel.

He pauses as he sees me as if he didn't intentionally follow me. He slowly closes the door behind him and offers a close tight lipped smile.

"Why are you out here?" He asks blankly.

"I was looking for Amber or Olly, why are you?"

I notice a shift in his composure as he flexes his jaw, "I needed some air."

The air was dead silent for a moment as I cross my arms from the awkwardness.

"Why were you in the bathroom with him?"

His question completely takes me off guard which must've been visible on my face as he squints his eyes slightly.

"I walked in not knowing he was in there... then the door locked from the outside behind me."

He does a quick head nod as if he's uninterested or in disbelief as he turns around.

"Are you...mad at me?" The word "'mad" slips out of my mouth with no ease. If we're just friends he has no reason to be mad yet I felt flooded with guilt.

"Why would I be mad at you Carolina?" His voice is dry. I had never seen Axel this way. What indicated that something had to be wrong was how he said my actual first name.

The word escapes his mouth just as oddly as it did mine and I instantaneously regret using it as he wears a cool shaded expression.

"Why do I feel like you're upset with me?" I lightly smile to ease the tension.

"I'm not, okay?" He walks around me and paces down the driveway and I feel the urge to follow him.

"Then why are you acting like that?" I follow him as he nears his car.

"Like what?" He mutters not caring to make eye contact as he unlocks his door.

"I don't know, cold?" I shrug standing in the middle of the street a few feet from him. His spins around now to face me, his gaze is nearly too intense to match.

"You think this is me being cold? Adorable." He leans his back on the car and I feel an uneasiness in my chest.

I scoff, "Are you jealous?"