cat got your tongue?

Chapter 25. Cat got your tongue?

"Fucking finally" Nolan sighs in relief as we get to the quarry, "Oh shut up you love my singing" Cooper flashes him a wicked grin as Grayson kills the engine shutting the radio off. I feel a slight ringing in my right ear and the song 'Pocket Full of Sunshine' by Natasha Bedingfield from Cooper's jamming out session playing through my ears as we exit the car.

The smell of firewood and trees is a relief as oppose the Jeep filled with smelly teen boys. I take a few steps closer towards the cliff where Grayson chose to park at, my cleats digging through the gravel making scraping noises. My eyes immediately begin searching the quarry and memories of when I was younger and how I would swim here with my brothers flood through my brain. The sun setting shines on the lake as the reflection of the yellows and pinks contrasts with shining on the bright blue lake is hypnotizing. I stare down at the lake that is about 40 feet about the water, the hill and rock terrain tagged with graffiti and campfires that didn't see to be properly put out.

I turn back around at the sound of popping like noises to see the boys behind the Jeep grabbing beer cans out of the trunk. I shift slightly uncomfortable digging my cleats further in the gravel as they ingest the alcohol.

"Hey Garcia, you want one?" Nolan asks and I shake my head, "I'm good" I call out slowly approaching them with my arms crossed as they chug the beer in their cans. What did you expect? Them to drink apple juice? They are called bad boys for a reason get over yourself.
As I mentally argue with myself I notice Axel's eyebrow arch as he stares at me with an amused expression on his face, "You alright Care?"

"Yeah why so blue?" Cooper grins from ear to ear waiting for anyone to react to his joke but no one does. It takes me a moment for his joke to sink in reminding of the fact I'm still pale blue.

"Alright then, I'm gonna start the fire" Grayson awkwardly mutters disregarding Cooper's joke as he approaches a fire pit with some fire wood in his grip and matches. I take a seat around the fire across from Grayson as Axel and Grayson get the fire going.

I glance up at the sky completely captivated by it, the pinks of the sky mixing with dark blue from the night adding purples to it. Where the boys decide to build the fire was darker considering the shadows casted by the tall trees.

"I'll go grab some more sticks" Axel takes another sip of his beer before setting it down jogging into the woods. I curiously glance over my shoulder to see Nolan and Cooper both daring each other to jump off the cliff.

My attention immediately darts to Grayson who chuckles at their odd behavior as they both begin stripping their into boxers. I quickly turn back around not even daring to stare at their bodies wondering what scientist built them in a lab.

"So you've never been here before?" Grayson asks and I shrug picking at the wooden seat I'm on, "A few times as a kid but never to party or hang out really"

"That's cool, That's cool..." he trails off taking a seat by the fire with a sly grin on his face as he eyes me, "What?" I ask feeling suddenly uncomfortable.

"You got a thing for my boy Axel...don't you?" He asks and I feel as if my stomach dropped out of my butt, I blink a few times assuming I hear him wrong.

"I-I'm sorry what?" I stutter feeling all the color leave from my face, well, most of it.

"You've got a thing for Axel" he smirks taking a sip out of his beer, "I do not" I immediately deny crossing my arms over my chest slightly giggling at the sound of Nolan and Grayson screaming in the background, "We are friends" I emphasize the word 'friends' before staring into the fire at the dancing red and yellows corresponding together.