Chapter 1

Alana

The landscape outside the window changed from the forest to the bustle of the city, but I did not have time to look at the scenery floating by. I focused all my attention on the road ahead of me. I had so little experience driving, the news that we would go on a long trip caused genuine fear. My parents wanted to celebrate my birthday in a new setting and couldn't think of anything better than booking a room at one of the ski resorts near New York. And sure, if we celebrated in winter, there would at least be something to do, but what would we do in the mountains in summer?

They bought the car for me about a year ago so that I could, like many modern teenagers, drive it to school. However, it served me only for a short time before settling in the garage and collecting dust for months.

My back was stiff from the tense, even posture, but I could relax only at the stops we made at rare intervals.

The last thing I need is another disaster in my life... 

There was some nice music playing over the radio, that my mom was totally controlling. She only occasionally sang along to the performers to keep herself busy on the trip, excluding any unnecessary chatter. That was the most important condition, after which I agreed to drive.

Approaching the next intersection on a busy street, we stopped at the stop line because of the forbidding traffic light. The red light always seemed to stay on for an eternity, and an impressive tail always formed behind the first car.

"Dear, please give me your document, I'll put everything in one place so we won't lose it," my mother said to me, after waiting for the moment when she could speak.

"And if we do lose them, then all together, yes?" Smiling, I reached for the backseat and grabbed my backpack.

"I'll take full responsibility," she said as she slipped both cards in a small plastic folder and put it in the glove compartment.

A black car stopped in the lane to the left of us, and perhaps I wouldn't have paid any attention to it if it hadn't been for the loud music, from pounded on my ears despite the closed windows.

And how can he drive like that?

The only thing I really envied was the possible coolness inside that car, because the unbearable heat seemed to melt bones... It is one thing when the car is moving, and the blowing breeze at least made the situation bearable. It is quite another when you standing still, and the air seems to burn you with its touch.

Mentally regretting that I once refused to fix the air conditioner, I did not even notice how the music became quieter, and the passenger window of the car next to me lowered.

"A girl!" a mocking male shouted.

I did not turn around. I want nothing from his type...

"Girl!!!" The guy still did not give up, but there was no reaction from me.

Leave me alone...

"Hey! Are you deaf?"

"What are you? Deaf? I'm talking to you!" Words from the past flashed through my head, sending goosebumps all over my body, and made me cling all the tighter to the steering wheel.

Then Mom leaned her whole body forward to look at this clown.

"Don't answer him, please." I nervously beat a rhythm with my fingers and mentally counted down the time until the traffic light turned green. As soon as it changed, our car carefully moved off, unlike the idiot on the left, who shot away like a Formula 1 racecar.

I do not know if it was revenge for a wounded ego, or if this guy was just pig-headed, but at some point, I lost sight of his car. When he appeared again, he overtook us, cut us off sharply and slowed down, creating an dangerous situation. In order not to crash into the back of an expensive car, causing damage that would take a century to repay, I hit the brakes hard and hit my forehead on the steering wheel. Remaining standing in one place, I raised my confused gaze and watched the delinquent move further and further away. With shaking hands, I shifted gears and pulled over to the side of the road to calm my pounding heart.

"What's wrong with these people, huh?! How does the Earth carry such freaks?" Hysteria began to bubble to the surface, and I was not at all sure we would go further.

It took me time, water, and my mother's soothing voice to come to my senses. She had to assure me we would not meet this man again. It was a pity that Dad was not around, then this would not have happened, and I would not have had to drive at all. Yet, I also knew perfectly well that a doctor's work schedule was completely unpredictable, because I really wanted to enroll in medical school.

Finding there was only enough gas left to the nearest gas station, I pulled myself together and drove back to the highway. The sharp release of cortisol into my blood made me crave sweets. I literally ached with the desire to taste sugar on my tongue, but, as evil would want it, there was not a single store nearby! The nearest one was right where we were going.

After securing the refueling nozzle in its place, I went to the store to pay for the fuel and buy something delicious. Passing by the counters, I could not decide, because everything was wrong. I wanted something special. However, when I got to the drinks refrigerator, my eyes lit up. Inside was the last can of my most beloved drink in the world, for which I could easily sell my soul, but my desires collapsed like a house of cards as soon as I saw someone's hand take my soda.

Angry, I looked back at the thief of my can and immediately looked away. There was a guy standing there and watching my reaction. Very close... There was the sound of an aluminum lid being opened and the nasty sound of gulps.

Well, you have to be such a goat?

Silently swallowing the bitter saliva of despair, I was about to leave his company, but I heard a quiet languid voice.

"Did you want this particular drink? You can take it, I'm not greedy."

Idiot...

Without saying a word, I headed to the checkout, grabbing two bottles of lukewarm water and something like a granola bar along the way. I paid for everything in cash and ran out of the store, not wanting to face this bastard anymore. As I approached the car, out of the corner of my eye I noticed a black sports car parked in the shade. I think it was a Dodge.

At least some knowledge from the past came in handy...

Filling up the car, I saw that the owner of this devil was the same jerk who managed to rain on my parade twice in such a short time. In a good way, I should have come up and said everything I thought about him, but it would not have led to anything good, because such people knew about their superiority and used it to their advantage.

To be sure that we would not cross paths with this guy on the way, we drove to the nearest pond, where we sat for about an hour, and only then resumed our journey. The whole road, to be honest, exhausted me a lot, and I already dreamed of getting settled as soon as possible, falling onto a soft bed and pretending to be a stone. However, even here my expectations were not destined to come true. Having dragged our suitcases up from the parking lot, we were unpleasantly surprised by a large crowd of vacationers in the lobby of the hotel.

Despite several receptionists at the front desk, the queue moved very slowly, plus the flow of arrivals did not decrease. I no longer had any strength left, so I wearily plopped down on the suitcase, looking around the interior of the room.

"You're a star, thank you very much! I'll be back soon and... I owe you!"

"Just leave the car in the parking lot, Norton! The rules apply to all visitors, and you are no exception."

It seemed a high voltage current passed through me when I heard a familiar voice, the bearer of which was one continuous problem. I looked up in horror and saw him exultantly walking away from a beautiful young girl in a business suit, and when he noticed me, he immediately slowed down.

Immediately turning away, I began to pray that he would have the sense not to approach. What the hell was he doing here? What have I done so wrong? I will remember my first eighteen years for a long time, that was for sure.

I will never celebrate birthdays again...

He seemed to have left, and soon it was our turn, but the trouble loves company, or am I so unlucky?