Chapter 14

Author

One year ago, New York

Returning to his uncle's house after another tiresome party, the young man was indignant about having to travel two hundred miles for the sake of people whom he hated with all his heart. His cousin also infuriated him with how she behaved as soon as Norton appeared on the horizon. Mark thought she was a complete fool: she let Mike wipe his feet on her. Still, not giving a damn about his cousin, he was in no hurry to give her any advice.

Having burst into the house, Mark wanted to sneak up to his room unnoticed, but the squeaky exclamation behind his back drove his irritation to new heights.

"You should have kept your mouth shut, Mark! But no, you had to show off in front of everyone! As soon as I think I can attract Mike's attention, you fly in and spoil everything with your presence!"

"Great! It's the perfect excuse not to come here again. And you keep getting yourself in shitting situations..."

"What happened to you?" Justin Wood, Miranda's father and Mark's uncle, intervened.

"Dad," his cousin whimpered like a little girl. "Mark has quarreled with the guys again."

"Mark has quarreled with the guys again," Wood mimicked Miranda and made a grimace, wiping away imaginary tears. "Want some advice? Grow a spine and stand up for yourself. Norton will never pay attention to you as long as you act like a brat. Even if you look a hundred times better than his ex, he'll still tell you to go to hell. Do you get it?"

"Respect your cousin!" A painfully familiar female voice rang out, which made him feel sick.

Mark lazily looked around the living room, noticing that everyone was assembled, only two teenagers were missing. His parents were there too, portraying the roles of perfect spouses and telling incredible stories about what a loving and happy family they had in New York. The young man had a terrible aversion to this farce, so he always refused to take part in it, preferring to merge with the shadows.

The only person he really respected and appreciated was his uncle. Only he constantly stood up for his nephew, openly condemning the behavior of his brother and his wife. He considered the choice of bride, which they imposed on their son, especially unacceptable. But no one asked Mark. Not that he cared; he could have a lone of mistresses a mile long and his parents would not say a thing.

Without answering his mother Mark, indifferent, started up the stairs to the second floor to pack his things. He did not make it far before his mother's nagging voice stopped him in his tracks again.

"Mark, tomorrow's trip is canceled. The Davens are in Boston, and we've already scheduled dinner to meet Emilia. You will have to tie the knot, so why not start chatting right now?"

"Maybe because I'm going to school?"

"You'll miss one day, it's okay..." his mother said, waving her hand. She considered it so insignificant, she had already turned her back on her son and changed the topic of the conversation.

Fuck you, he spat quietly in his heart. Mark turned around and continued up the stairs. Once inside his room, he slammed the door with some force.

The next day, the meeting may have taken place, but without his presence. Justin offer to help, so Mark still took an early flight from Boston to New York, without his parents' knowledge.

The morning before the first day of school was just disgusting. His mother rewarded his reckless act by screaming his ear off over the phone, making sure he knew how he had let the family down by escaping this way. Then she threatened to disinherit him and deprive him of all financial support, to teach this young man a lesson. Mark simply laughed about it, urging her not to waste time, knowing she would not dare. She valued her reputation too much, and no one in the family needed a scandal of this magnitude. Wood spat on their prohibitions and reproaches, turning his back on his parents as they had done so many times before.