Chapter 32

Alana

After five days in the hospital, I could go home, but I still had to continue my bed rest under the supervision of my parents and a psychologist. The second week was coming to an end, and to be honest, I was terribly tired of everything.

I did not even want to imagine what Mom and Dad went through when they received the news from the Boston hospital that my heart stopped. Dropping everything, they flew over from New York in record time and spent the entire night propping up the walls of the hospital, until Mrs. Norton convinced them to go rest in 'my' apartment.

Jess, Alex and Amanda visited me all the time, but I was embarrassed in front of Mike, so I asked him not to come. I tried not to ask about him at all, although my heart ached from the fact that he did not even try to find out the reason – he simply believed the photos. However, my friend herself started a conversation about him on the last day of my stay in the hospital.

***

"He asks about you all the time. Every day, he sits by the doors of the ward, but doesn't dare enter," the blonde said.

"It doesn't matter anymore. It's over between us... I can't look him in the eye after this."

"He's never experienced such powerful emotions before in his life. Mike's never loved anyone. You're the only one he's opened his heart to."

"I don't blame him for this," I whispered, feeling the tears rising in my throat. "He doesn't believe me."

"He believes you, Alana! He realized his mistake!" She paused for a moment, and then continued, "Alex knows... I'm sorry... We were at Wood's, but that son of a bitch proved to us you came to him yourself, and there was mutual love between you. However, we have all the medical reports confirming you were unconscious. Amanda was seriously thinking about putting him behind bars, and she's very belligerent."

I smiled at the thought. Internally. On the outside, though, I just closed my eyes and sighed heavily.

"Alana, I understand how hard it is for you, but try to remember what happened."

"I remember Miranda taking you somewhere. There was no one around, and then a sharp pain in my neck, and darkness took me. I woke up in a hotel room and this disgusting reality confronted me."

"At a hotel? Could you tell me the name and number of the room?"

"Here are your practical exercises," I said, handing her some papers as I tried to dispel this depressing situation, but in the end, I laid out everything I remember.

For a few days, I felt different. I got tired quickly, but this was not surprising; despite being on sick leave, I tried not to keep up with my studies and did my assignments at home.

All the smells around me became much sharper and more expressive. I even argued with my mother, claiming that her perfume was fake because it didn't stink like that before.

My appetite disappeared. I did not feel hunger, and the thought that I needed to eat made me sick.

The dream disappeared. There were headaches, even once so bad, it almost came to fainting.

And everything would have been fine; it could have been written off as emotional exhaustion until my mom put a couple of pregnancy tests in front of me and shoved me into the bathroom. I was very skeptical about this, because stress could influence a woman's cycles, and I had so many reasons to be anxious.

After doing what I had to, I sat on the floor and waited for the result.

Two different tests. One ordinary, the other electronic, but the result was the same.